Oven and Hob Ignition hard wired to same 45am Junction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I had an electrician install a new consumer unit and 45amp cooker curcuit.

There is a junction (like socket but without plug holes) and this is connected to a fused switch above the worktop level. The idea is that the oven would be hardwired to the socket and controlled by the switch - standard stuff I think.

The question though is that the oven I have bought has a 13amp plug attached and I now also a gas hob with a plug attached to ignite the gas.

Can I snip both plugs off and connect BOTH wires to the same switched terminal?

You advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Trouble is that would mean the only protection for the relatively light flexes would be the cooker fuse in your CU. That's considerably bigger than the 3A and 13A fuses in the plug tops. :eek:

Not to mention cutting off the plugs could do for the warranties roughly what myxomatosis does for rabbits.

Maybe better to consider replacing the cooker outlet plate with a double 13A socket.

In my kitchen, a B20 breaker feeds a double socket behind the kitchen unit, powering the built in Hob and Ovens - two 13amp plugs power each respectively - the Oven is 3kW/13amp rated, and the hob is 3amp fused.

Thanks for the advice.

A couple of questions:

1. What is a B20?
2. Can I just take out the hard wired socket the electrician installed and replace it with a doulbe plug socket? Then both the oven and hob could just be plugged in. The socket is a spur and if I remember correctly you can't take a spur from an existing spur.

Thanks again.
James.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back