Oven and Hob on one outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have a single electric oven which is rated ok to connect with a 3 pin plug. I also have a gas hob which only needs power for the piezo.

I'd like to 'hard wire' both of these rather than have 2 sockets taken up with them plugged in. I've got the opportunity to do it properly whilst the kitchen is being replaced.

Can I connect both to a single FSU or a cooker switch mounted at worktop height?

TIA, J

Sponsored Links
A cooker switch would be overkill, unless you're using a cooker circuit.

Have them on separate FCUs, nicely engraved with "Hob" & "Oven".

Who's doing the electrics for the new kitchen?

If you're in England or Wales are you aware that the work is notifiable?

Cheers Ban,

Don't worry, I'm getting it all done properly. I'm just doing the cable runs, lifting boards, channeling out etc. The whole house is being rewired so leaving all the connecting to the spark.

I've used the MK Grid switches before. Would it be ok to have a 2 gang one of those on the worktop connected to a double socket in an undercounter cupboard with the oven and hob plugged in here? The MK Grid don't have fuses but obviously both the plugs would.

Don't worry, I'm getting it all done properly. I'm just doing the cable runs, lifting boards, channeling out etc. The whole house is being rewired so leaving all the connecting to the spark.
Unless you've already found an electrician to work that way, and are doing all of your work under his supervision and direction, and with him making all of the design decisions, that's not doing it properly.

I've used the MK Grid switches before. Would it be ok to have a 2 gang one of those on the worktop connected to a double socket in an undercounter cupboard with the oven and hob plugged in here? The MK Grid don't have fuses but obviously both the plugs would.
That's up to your electrician.

FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & TESTING
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to ............. (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Unreasonable, really, to expect him to sign that if he didn't effectively do it....

Sponsored Links
Yes he's agreed it. Yes, he's happy. Yes, he trusts me. Yes, he's going to test it. Yes, he's going to sign it off. Yes, he's my bitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back