Oven and hob on same 13amp

... when I am doing kitchens I also put in a circuit in that can deal with 15kW of power, even if the client is going to have gas cooking appliance fitted!
That's interesting - do I take it you mean 15 kW worth of cooking equipment, after application of diversity? Assuming you do, I wonder why you limit it to 15 kW, given that a 32A circuit can service about 19 kW of cooking appliances, after diversity?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have you factored in for the CCU with socket, I believe if calculated using diversity, that a 32A circuit would stack up to the 15kW.

Have you factored in for the CCU with socket, I believe if calculated using diversity, that a 32A circuit would stack up to the 15kW.
15000/230=65.2 .... 65.2-10=55.22 ... 55.22x30%=16.57 ... 16.57+10+5=31.57
Fair enough. No, I was not including a socket, in which case (as I said) "one can service 19 kW of cooking appliances" with a 32A circuit:

( (19000/230) - 10 ) x 0.3 + 10 = 31.78A

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you install 10mm² cable with 63A MCB (method C with no socket) you can have a cooker of 44.8kW @ 240V :)

I always allow for a socket outlet, even if not specified, it maybe 19kW stacks up without socket but if the CCU was replaced by CCU plus socket then you are back to the 15kW demand.
Anyway end of the day they get a 32A circuit regardless of socket.

Thanks again everyone, I'm getting an electrician round to have a look, but I'll probably chase the old cable on a long route around the kitchen and into my oven.

Thanks again everyone, I'm getting an electrician round to have a look, but I'll probably chase the old cable on a long route around the kitchen and into my oven.
What old cable?
Be aware that cables have permitted safe routes and generally if new cables are buried they will require RCD protection and there are also regulation concerning maximum depths of chases within solid walls.

Brilliant. Here's a couple of pics of the units, old cooker isolator on the left, new oven on the right just opposite. You'll notice everything is tiled over so no chance of getting under the floorboards easily.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1G4TcsmGYEVHh

The electrician suggested dropping the old cable down, running it under the units, then into the wall, up and over the back door then down towards the oven.

If the floor is not solid, you maybe able to access from beneath the adjoining room if that is accessible and feed a cable through as the distance does not seem that great, or it is up over and down. But suggesting around back door, makes me think this electrician is not up to much and possible is clueless!
The above worktop socket, for what I guess is dishwasher is a bit naff!

What old cable?
Be aware that cables have permitted safe routes and generally if new cables are buried they will require RCD protection and there are also regulation concerning maximum depths of chases within solid walls.

Maximum depth for chases ? Really ? Most guidance points to the use of split load dual rcd boards or rcbo's to provide adequate protection from what I have read.

PBoD's point is that burying cables at greater than 50mm negates the requirement for RCD protection (unless required for sockets or other reasons).

However, Building Regulations forbid chasing leafs at more than one third thickness vertically and one sixth horizontally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back