New ovens in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have bought a renovated house which for some reason doesn't have a cooker switch, totally rewired but not put the effort in to add 1.
Current oven is 13amp on plug and induction hob on plug.
Looking to upgrade kitchen and have a built on oven on plug and a compact oven above it on plug.
Will these 3 appliances be too much for my consumer unit

Sponsored Links
We can't tell as you haven't given an power ratings for whatever you're thinking of buying? Though if they're powered off a 13 amp plug it's unlikely they'll overload your board.

It depends on what supplies go to the kitchen. If you have one ring final circuit then it should not have three current hungry 13A appliances on one ring final. In fact, regs guidance is that any fixed load of more than 2kWatt (8.7amp ish) should have its own dedicated circuit.

Lets see a pic of your consumer unit.

Sorry, they are all supplied with a plug 1 single oven, 1 compact oven and 1 induction hob. On the consumer unit are 4 x B32, 1 x B40, 2 x B16 and 3 x B6, they didn’t even bother to label which circuit is for which area.
Aporecreplues and if there's anything else that could help please let me know

Attachments

• 20220327_170922.jpg
    20220327_170922.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
When the consumer unit was commissioned, the electrician must have provided an installation certificate. That certificate will detail the characteristics of each circuit and what it is for. The certificate should have been provided with the house documents (I guess the work wasn’t gone for you?)
The circuit description should also be labelled for each circuit on the consumer unit.

Unable to advise on line without that information.

Thank you, just checked the paperwork and all I've got it a certificate for the installation stating what work has been done.
Looks like I'll have to get an electrician in to have a look.

Good. At least they have notified the work. So that’s the legal part of the job.

It is a requirement of BS7671 (non statutory document) for a schedule of circuits to be provided at or near the consumer unit and for an Electrical Installation Certificate to be completed.
It is sheer laziness not to do this.

You might like to ask Gary Edwards where this is!

By the way, if you live in Llw******y, it might be an idea to also hide any QR codes you post on-line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back