Oven Cabling Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Been lurking the forums for a while and have found answers to previous questions by searching older posts but can't find answer to this one.

I am changing my oven to a single one that can be connected to a 13 amp supply and a gas hob with a 3 pin plug on it for the ignition. The original oven was a double with an electric hob so was connected to a terminal outlet then 6mm cable to the control unit then 6mm to a 30 amp MCB.

My question is, how can I connect my new appliances to the old cabling???

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. So 6mm cable is ok connecting to a double socket??

The new oven just has 3 terminals on the back. Could I wire a short piece of 2.5 T+E to a plug with a 13 amp fuse in to plug into this socket???

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Remove the terminal outlet plate and replace it with a double unswitched socket.

Interested amateur question alert....

Why unswitched? sounds like the switch would be redundant but you make it sound like unswitched bit is important, I'm curious. On second thoughts would that be because that second switch wouldnt be DP? you can probably tell I'm guessing now...

You've already got an isolating switch (the cooker control unit) so you dont really need another one.
Its not a capital offence if you use a switched socket though...

it is however just one more mechanical link in the chain that can go wrong.. ( oxidised / overheated contacts etc..) and one more place that is not idiot proof.. ( my oven isn't working why?... did you switch the socket on? errr... no )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back