oven element burnt out again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
candy oven stopped working, pulled back off to find element had burnt out, all split and puffed up (taken on an appearance of cauliflower)

I replaced it with a new one, which has worked for the last two months but has just gone again!

Clearly something else is also at fault. I'm guessing the thermostat?

Any ideas chaps?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a bad connection caused by the first failure of the element. Look closely at the bit where the element connects, is it worn, pitted, gunked up etc? if so you need to get it looking as clean and bare-metal as possible for a sound connection (wire brush etc, mini torch, lots of cursing . . .)

And don't forget to power down first :!:

I very much doubt that the thermostat is faulty because that would result in over-cooked or charred food from the oven.

It's more likely that the replacement element was sub-standard - and sadly the next replacement won't be a lot better.......

Lucia.

failed after 2 months?

what did you pay for the replacement element? where from? can you return it under guarantee?

Sponsored Links
I think you've nailed it Prince of Darkness, I couldn't find a part number on the old element so I looked on the internet to find a replacement based on wattage and dimensions.

The replacement element was only £12, which as you suggest was probably 'sub standard'

I guess the old adage is true - you get what you pay for!

if you know the make and model of the cooker, you can probably look up the correct part no

Try the "appliances" forum here and someone will know a good brand or supplier of elements

www.espares.co.uk
Search for the make/model of the oven itself, rather than what might be printed on the element bracket.

£12 would be a compatible pattern part, certainly not the manufacturer original item.

candy oven stopped working, pulled back off to find element had burnt out, all split and puffed up (taken on an appearance of cauliflower)

I replaced it with a new one, which has worked for the last two months but has just gone again!

Clearly something else is also at fault. I'm guessing the thermostat?

Any ideas chaps?

Presumably a fan oven?
Is the fan working? Free to rotate?

Frank

yes Frank the fan is working fine.

I've taken a photo to show the damage to the element and also the plastic covers on the spade connecters which have melted.

Incidently, the original element was rated at 2.2kw but the replacement was 2.5kw. Although I don't know how much difference this would make as the thermostat would surely kick in as soon as it got up to temperature anyway.

Any more ideas guys, or is simply the fact that the replacement element was probably of poor quality?

The element should have been replaced with the correct wattage one even if it was a pattern part, the 2.5 kw one will heat up a bit quicker but will draw more power down the wiring loom than it was initially built for.
Some ovens (indeed many white goods) have been modified during their production run, you need to check the serial/batch number as well as the model number.
With some ovens due to problems, lower rated elements have been fitted and in some cases safety stats removed or replaced with lower temp versions.

Some part sellers will not make you aware that your particular model may have been made slightly differently and require different parts.

Reputable parts sellers should take the part back and provide a replacement as it is less than 12 months old.

ordered a replacement element and made sure I chose the same one as the original - 3 turn, 2200W and paid a bit more to make sure it was the same one.

When it came it was a 2 turn, 2000W element!! (Could have ordered this one for half the price!)

Fitted it anyway, and so far so good. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back