oven not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason, my oven and hob are not working. I can't believe for one minute that both devices are broken at the same time. I've noticed that the red light on the switch box next to it is off.

Is it likely to be the switch box or something further along the line such as the main fuse box?

Sponsored Links
Yes it'll be a fuse or MCB or RCD.

Can you upload a photo of the main fuse box? It'll help us.

I can get a pic later on. The main fuse box is very old fashioned. Is it difficult to obtain a new fuse for the oven which I know is separate from everything else?

It may be rewireable - we'll be able to tell from photos. However, fuses blow for a reason! Is your oven and hob as old as the fuse box?

It would be worthwhile getting an electrician to look over your installation - you may have rubber wires (or worse, wires that HAD rubber on them, which has crumbled away :eek: )

And its likely your current installation has a lack of RCD protection - this was introduced as compulsory for certain areas about 15 years ago. It is now compulsory for most circuits to have RCD protection, and in my opinion is it well worth the outlay.

Sponsored Links
I've uploaded a pictures of the fuse box. I know what you're thinking. I should have my fuse box updated!!

I removed the fuses one by one (turning off the electric each time) and eliminated the two whites on the right and the two reds on the left. Obviously because the hob/oven aren't working, I could not establish which of the blues affects the oven. There's also a possibility that one of the blues is a redundant fuse. I tried swapping over the fuses, but still no power to the oven/hob.

My tenant who lives in the flat says that he was using the iron on the socket on the oven/hob switch. He says the iron blew this morning. He tried using the iron on another socket but the device is dead. I've now thrown the iron away as I noticed it was looking a bit knackered.

What do think? Did the iron cause the main oven fuse to blow?

Where can I buy these fuses from? Any ideas how much they cost?

picture link:
//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=3156

Sorry for the duplication. There was a delay on my browser and pressed too many times.

You say that my pic is not uploaded properly. I went to the link that you gave me but I still can't work out how to upload my pic so that others can see it.

when you repy, click under the reply window where it says "Show My Images" then just click on the photo, it puts it in where the cursor is..

the oven will likely be one of the red ones..

TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE PULLING A FUSE!!!!

that broken blue one looks dodgy too...

I pulled the reds one out one by one (turned off the electricity supply before doing so). They turned out the lights in different parts of the property. It was only the blues which had no effect so assumed that one of them was for the oven.

oh dear....

reds are supposed to be 30A fuse wire, blues 15A and white 5A...

the white ones should be lights...

time to call out a sparky to have a look for you.. might cost you an hours work..
get him to trace the rest of the fuses and label them for you..

if you feel brave, get a photo with the cover off ( power off first, and don't touch anything inside the board )..

we might be able to see which fuse does what, or at least hazard a better guess..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back