Oven power supply switch - orange light flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My oven is directly wired to a power switch. I've just noticed that when the power switch is on ( regardless if the oven is on) the orange light at the top flickers. None of my other power switches ( the washing machine one also wired directly) flicker. I'm sure this is quite new. The oven still works correctly although when I do turn the power switch on it takes a few mins for the oven to start working.
I used to leave the power on on the oven all the time for the clock but since noticing the flicker I've left it turned off.
Any help most appreciated - I really need to know if this is a serious fault/ risk of fire etc etc.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a neon indicator - they flicker when they get old. As such, it's not an electrical fault. There will come a time when the indicator stops indicating though.

Nozzle

I'm concerned about the comment that the oven takes a few minutes to start working when the switch is first switched on.

It's a neon indicator - they flicker when they get old. As such, it's not an electrical fault. There will come a time when the indicator stops indicating though.
Indeed. I wonder why we are not seeing such indicator neons being replaced by LEDs. (maybe we are, but I haven't noticed?).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Legrand Synergy use LED modules that are ordered separately and fit most of their accessories.

I have seen other LED mains indicators before, they don't last long, perhaps being killed by spikes on the mains. This is especially true when run from a dropper cap and parallel zener diode. We used to change dozens of the LEDs and diodes in gas proving units at one time.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sometimes ovens don't work until you set the clock. Perhaps it's a combination of powering-up the oven and something with the time setting, perhaps advancing to 00:01 that makes it seem something it is not. If there was a knackered connection and you started to draw many kW through it, you'd soon know there's a fault.

Nozzle

Thanks very much for all replies very helpful. I need a small extractor fan fixed so I'll get electrician to look @ oven thingy as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back