Wet weather affects electricity supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have noticed that sometimes the lights flicker and the power circuit dips sufficiently to knock off the computer, oven clock flashes, etc. This only happens in bad weather and nothing is tripping on the meter. Any suggestions what can be happening?

Sponsored Links
You probably have what is called a TT system.

Does your mains cable come into the property from overhead power lines?

I don't think so. It comes up through the floor near the front door. House built 1906 but no idea when electricity was first connected.

he was a little vague there.. are you in the country somewhere?
do you see any overhead lines other than phone lines near your house?
it may come in underground via a cable that is run down from an overhead line..

I would recomend notifying the suppliers of the flicker, it may be indicative of a fault with their undergound wiring that they may need to explore..

Sponsored Links
I have rang them and they have told me if it is an internal problem there is a £67 call out charge. They have advised me to ask neighbours if they are experiencing similar problems before proceeding but neighbours are at work at the moment. My house is on a main street and there are no overhead cables, some cables out the back but I'm pretty sure they are BT phone lines. Can you think of anything internal that would affect different circuits, simultaneously, without tripping RCB or individual circuits? I can do without paying their call out charge if I then have to get a spark in to sort something internally.

I have rang them and they have told me if it is an internal problem there is a £67 call out charge. They have advised me to ask neighbours if they are experiencing similar problems before proceeding but neighbours are at work at the moment. My house is on a main street and there are no overhead cables, some cables out the back but I'm pretty sure they are BT phone lines. Can you think of anything internal that would affect different circuits, simultaneously, without tripping RCB or individual circuits? I can do without paying their call out charge if I then have to get a spark in to sort something internally.

could be a loose wire in the cutout.. causing a high resistance connection..

could also be that your feed wiring is too small and that everyone in the street turns on the electric heating when it's cold and rainy.. :)

best not to.. it involves some 1000V insulated gauntlets and a pair of dark glasses in case of a flash..

it will be by the meter.. best let the pro's deal with it...

that said, if you insist on doing it yourself a pair of marigolds are your friends.. ( dry of course ) ..
wiggle the wires and feel for any undue play in them, and listen for any fizzing or crackling noises..

if you hear any call the suppliers immediately and tell them there are fizzing crackling noises comming form the cutout and it's hot to the touch.. they should be there in few hours..
:)

Is that the bit with the main fuse that leads into the meter? If so, everything is secure.

It's probably just snow at the sub station, and possibly an auto recloser clearing a fault or lump of snow somewhere.

How often does the supply fluctuate? Is it every few minuites, or is it once in a blue moon?

Maybe there is a fault with the underground service cable/joint(s) and the wet weather is making it worse. Does having high load appliances (power shower, immersion, etc) make it worse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back