Oven switch/isolator on CU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a search and can't really find a definitive answer. If anybody can point me to the relevant (free and online) section of the regs that would be enough.

I'm planning the new kitchen layout. At the moment cooking with gas. Will be converting to a built in double oven.

So that will need a new circuit, yes? The consumer unit is new, with each circuit individually protected with a combined MCB/RCD (well, except the bell transformer). Even though it cost a lot more, I went for that for safety. I've got 5 spare holes, or whatever they're called.

Measuring as the crow flies it's 2 metres from the CU to where the nearest side of the oven will be.

Do I need a separate isolating cooker point thingy? The thing is that with the current kitchen plan wherever it goes it will either be behind a free standing fridge or at the back of the oven unit with a cut out or down a very narrow gap on one side of the oven. In other words in an emergency it will actually be less accessible than taking two steps to the CU and turning off there.

Does a MCB/RCD count as an 'isolator'? Or even the big red 'turn off all the electricity to the house' switch?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a less than ideal kitchen layout.... so you have no empty worktop space immediately either side of the oven / hobs (I'm assuming its a double oven with hobs)?

A quick diagram may be helpful

Thanks.

Yes, the whole kitchen is a bit sub optimal.

Just a double oven, eye level, in a built in unit. On the left hand side a free standing fridge, on the right hand side 13" of wall which comes out about 600mm. Then more worktop, probably. The hob will be separate. Yes, it means there's no worktop directly either side of the oven, but there will be just by turning round 180 degrees. There will be only about 1100mm between the two sides of this long thin kitchen.

I've had a search and can't really find a definitive answer.
That's because there isn't one.

If anybody can point me to the relevant (free and online) section of the regs that would be enough.
No free - expensive.

So that will need a new circuit, yes?
You'll definitely need a circuit.

The consumer unit is new, with each circuit individually protected with a combined MCB/RCD (well, except the bell transformer). Even though it cost a lot more, I went for that for safety. I've got 5 spare holes, or whatever they're called.
That's RCBOs and the holes are called 'ways'.

Do I need a separate isolating cooker point thingy?
There are various regulations which relate to isolation for maintenance, emergency switching in case of danger, but none which actually state that you have to have the 'usual' cooker switch though I would say it is advisable and recommended it is not compulsory.
That you would find an electrician who would be willing to install a cooker/oven without fitting the cooker switch is unlikely so it would be unwise not to fit one doing it yourself.

It is, or can be, just a switch suitably placed.
You must be having above worktop sockets so surely there is room for a switch somewhere.

The thing is that with the current kitchen plan wherever it goes it will either be behind a free standing fridge or at the back of the oven unit with a cut out or down a very narrow gap on one side of the oven.
That's no good.

Does a MCB/RCD count as an 'isolator'? Or even the big red 'turn off all the electricity to the house' switch?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
The use of MCB/RCD/RCBO as an isolator is dependent on the BS/EN number some have to be marked with a symbol to use it for this function.
FigH05.jpg
This shows three yours will likely only show one.
BS EN 60898
BS EN 60947-2 This one needs symbol others OK.
BS EN 61009-1
BS EN 61008-1

Do I need a separate isolating cooker point thingy?
Yes because if the oven controls fail and the oven overheats out of control you need a means to shut it down. As already said it needs to be esily accessible. The person looking for it may be in a bit of a panic.

Or even the big red 'turn off all the electricity to the house' switch?
No because if there is a problem in the kitchen the last thing you need to have is no lights. And if you only have cordless phones and you need to call the fire brigade. loss of power may mean the phone won't work.

Thanks folks.

As the RCBO will be new I can just specify a 3 pole one.

I suppose I can put the isolator on the end of the stub wall, though there will be about twice the actual wiring to get it there. And at some point I think this might be very difficult to keep in spec as far as buried wiring goes.

What's the maximum length of cable from the isolator to the actual appliance?

If theres a cupboard above or below the oven, you could put the switch in there?
Would you like to reach over an out of control oven to turn it off. Assuming you can remember where the switch is, hidden behind the contents of the cupboard, contents which will have to be moved to reach the switch.

Exactly. That's why I think an 2 pole breaker on the CU might be better. It's near (2 metres) the oven, but not next to it. It the 'problem' is a fire I don't want to be scrambling round anywhere near the over. But stepping back out of the way to the CU would be OK. Though you'd have to read the panel to see which breaker it was.

Exactly. That's why I think an 2 pole breaker on the CU might be better. It's near (2 metres) the oven, but not next to it. It the 'problem' is a fire I don't want to be scrambling round anywhere near the over. But stepping back out of the way to the CU would be OK. Though you'd have to read the panel to see which breaker it was.
Do you plan to do the same with the hob you are installing as well?

Because most double ovens tend to require direct wiring into a circuit and certainly that would apply to the hob.
Do you plan to have them on different circuits?

Because otherwise at some point in the kitchen you are going to need to have a cooker (hob/oven) connection unit (CCU) and your two appliances will need to be within 2 metres of the CCU.

Furthermore, both appliance manufacturers instructions may require the inclusion of a cooker isolation switch.

Don't forget this work is notifiable as well so you will need to ensure that the work you plan is acceptable to your Local Authority Building Control or the electrician who is going to sign the work off.

Do you plan to do the same with the hob you are installing as well? Because most double ovens tend to require direct wiring into a circuit and certainly that would apply to the hob. Do you plan to have them on different circuits?
Maybe the hob will be on a 'gas circuit' - electric hobs don't seem to be all that popular/fashionable these days :)

Kind Regards, John

Do you plan to do the same with the hob you are installing as well? Because most double ovens tend to require direct wiring into a circuit and certainly that would apply to the hob. Do you plan to have them on different circuits?
Maybe the hob will be on a 'gas circuit' - electric hobs don't seem to be all that popular/fashionable these days :)

Kind Regards, John
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/cupboards-above-induction-hob.369392/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back