Oven wire shelves screeching!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Britannia double oven that is about 20 years old. Everything is generally fine but the only problem we are having is that whenever we pull out or push in the oven wire shelves or trays, they make an awful screeching sound :(.

Can anyone recommend what we can do to stop this screeching sound?

Sponsored Links
Graphite powder, it's used for locks and any other place where lubricant is needed without oil or grease

Sponsored Links
I used to be a bit cheap skate and rub a pencil over such things. I've never tried on oven shelves but graphite is pretty heat resistant so it should work....

A light smear of silicon grease may help, it is heat resistant & does not migrate.

thanks @jj4091. Are you 100% certain that silicone grease is sufficiently heat resistant in ovens? I just did a quick google and one webpage said silicone greases can support temperatures from -65 degrees to 315 degrees celsius but another webpage says silicone greases generally have an operating temperature range of approx -40 to 200C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back