Oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was asked yesterday by a family member to help them install a new oven. It is a Neue SFO1SS which I believe is a Benchmarx exclusive.

Anyway old oven is fed from a 32a MCB to a 45a cooker switch in what looks like 6mm cable.

Having read the manual on the new oven it states it has to be fed from a min 15a max 20a fuse.
I have found a manual online for the same oven which goes into more detail. I have posted screenshots here
2zy9bv4.jpg

244cti8.jpg

I assume the oven circuit is not suitable for this appliance. The other option I may have is there is a 16a mcb that feeds a single socket for the fridge in 2.5mm t+e (cu other side of wall so 2mtr approx length) and this is located in the cupboard next to the oven housing.
Looking at the online manual I read it that I can use this socket and put a 13a plug on a suitable flex.

My other thought was that I could swap the fridge socket for a 20a DP switch and hard wire into this

Can someone confirm that that would be a suitable solution. Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't even think about messing around with other circuits. Use the existing "cooker " circuit.
The instructions for the UK are clear. A 13A fuse is all that you need. As Eric says, you can achieve that by a 13A plug and socket, or by using an FCU with a 13A fuse in it.

Sounds like you can just put it into a normal fcu with a 13a fuse. Or if you prefer replace the MCB with a 20a and connect into a 20a connection unit as you suggest.

Sponsored Links
So I could change the cooker isolation plate behind the oven for an fcu or should I change the 45a cooker switch for the fcu?

Either is fine whichever is most convenient, but you should ideally still change the MCB for a 32a or lower. (Since there's not anything downstream you're not going to overload the terminals though)

Last edited:
Either is fine whichever is most convenient, but you should ideally still change the MCB for a 32a or lower.

The 32A MCB is there protecting the 6mm cable. That is fine.
The 6mm cable will be terminated into a 13A fuse.

Why does the current need to be limited further at the CU?

The 32A MCB is there protecting the 6mm cable. That is fine.
The 6mm cable will be terminated into a 13A fuse.

Why does the current need to be limited further at the CU?
I think my edit crossed your post, I was just checking the reason as I forgot the exact justification- basically you can overload the terminals, but in this case not possible as it's the only accessory.

All the fuse ratings mentioned are followed by "min" - minimum.

Does 13A min / 15A min / 20A min not include 32A ?

Can't both be right.

Just connect it to the cooker circuit with 2.5mm² flex.

It will be fine just like it would if it had a hob joined to it.

To be honest they should probably restrict themselves to saying the power of the oven and the maximum cable capacity of the terminals, and leave the design to someone else. But they probably want to stop getting calls to their help line from people with melted cables or whatever so they over specify.

Their instructions are ludicrous. They state that in the UK a 2.5mm^2 flex should be used with a plug and socket or FCU. 2.5mm^2 is not permitted to be used with a BS1363 plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back