Oven wiring

The is some sort of plastic cover with wires on the wall where the oven will go. I know it needs to be hard wired in. I think we will need to run a new 6mm cable and create new circuit for just the oven.

Sponsored Links
The is some sort of plastic cover with wires on the wall where the oven will go. I know it needs to be hard wired in. I think we will need to run a new 6mm cable and create new circuit for just the oven.
How do you know that is not on the cooker circuit - as it should be?

I will ask him when he is back from holiday. I assume the hob is separate to oven because it has a separate mcb on consumer unit. If I turn off the fuse for oven, the 3 appliances is also turned off.

Sponsored Links
I will ask him when he is back from holiday. I assume the hob is separate to oven because it has a separate mcb on consumer unit. If I turn off the fuse for oven, the 3 appliances is also turned off.
Ok, fair enough.

Let's go back to the beginning:
Hope someone can help advise if this ok. Electrician has wired 2.5mm circuit
Assuming this is a ring circuit with the 32A MCB which you have told us.

for oven, washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher. I just bought an double oven that is 5.1kw. Is it ok to have this on a 2.5mm circuit with the other appliances?
Not really - or rather - No.

If not, what is the best option?
1) change to smaller oven (what is the maximum kw I can have?)
It would still be pushing your luck and it would not be the oven you want.

2) put the appliances on circuit with the other sockets
You could do that - but if it is that easy to rewire then just connect the oven to the hob circuit and leave the rest as is.
I do not understand why that was not the original way of doing it.

3) change cable to 6mm (which be a pain to do and no doubt cost more). Can the appliances be kept on the same circuit with 2.5mm cable?
No point. All you need is a cable - 2.5mm² would do but I would use 4mm² - from the hob connection point to the oven.

Thanks for your reply.
You could do that - but if it is that easy to rewire then just connect the oven to the hob circuit and leave the rest as is.
I do not understand why that was not the original way of doing it.
Isn’t it best to have hob on its own circuit? This seems to be the common recommendation that I read about on the internet. Along with future proofing using 6mm cable instead of 4mm.

I don’t think we can connect the oven to hob circuit as the hob is on island and I guess you can’t do this without breaking the floor tiles.

Isn’t it best to have hob on its own circuit?
Electrically it makes no difference.

This seems to be the common recommendation that I read about on the internet.
Everything on the internet is right.

Along with future proofing using 6mm cable instead of 4mm.
You had better rewire everything with 6mm², then.

I don’t think we can connect the oven to hob circuit as the hob is on island and I guess you can’t do this without breaking the floor tiles.
We did not know that.

I am beginning to understand your electrician.

Partly my fault as I gave him the impression I was getting a less powerful oven.
Entirely your fault then...
But,all is not lost: need to know the size of MCB protecting the circuit that the hob is on.
Probably you'll be OK to add the oven to the same circuit as the hob, but we need to know the spec of the circuit.

EDIT
Just read the bit about the island....The hob feed must be in the wall somewhere. Hopefully he can break in to that and add a branch to the oven's location.

Glad to hear it.

I will tell the electrician your recommendation.

I have been a member of this site for quite a long time, @EFLImpudence might from time to time be slightly acerbic, but thus far, from having read his post, he is normally bang on the money with his advice.

he is normally bang on the money with his advice.
Having read a lot of posts on this forum 2 nights ago, I did get the impression that he knows his stuff.
If it was up to me, I would follow his advice without question but it’s not..someone else need to sign off the work. Can you imagine me arguing with the electrician…
“I read on the internet….blah blah blah… another electrician on this forum said this … blah blah blah…”

I ask questions because these are lots of confusing advice out there and I am just trying to understand some of it.

You have a 6.4kW hob and 5.1kW oven.

This is the equivalent of a 11.5kW cooker (i.e. one piece hob and oven which would be on one circuit).

This is well within the limit for a 40A 6mm² cooker circuit (assuming it is installed correctly).

11.5 kW @ 240V is 48A.

Using what we call diversity for cooking appliances because even when on, each element constantly cycles on and off, and the long term average load works out at only 21.5A ((48-10) x 0.3 + 10) so the circuit is way over this and perfectly adequate for both hob and oven.

Thank you for everyone’s advice and comments. I have learnt a lot and understand some things better. Now I am not so clueless about kW, Amps, diversity, etc. This is a great forum.

Are you sure the oven is on this new ring? How is it connected?

You can't plug in a 5.1kW oven.
Tell that to the so called electrician who stuck a plug on a 2.5mm cable and plugged it into a Double socket under an island unit on a 32amp ring final for the Hob
It's an Induction hob and rated at 7.2Kw......found this today
20230404_111121.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back