Over The Years....

Thanks.

I guess both metric and imperial ran side by side for a while. The 14th went metric in 1970.

Your cable would have been 2.5/1.0.

I was wondering when the larger CPC made an appearance.

I have seen an uncorroborated claim that it happened around June 1975, but I know that my Mum had her house rewired in 1982 and the CPC in the 2.5 is definitely 1 milli.

So, was it old stock, or was the CPC not increased until after 1982?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I guess both metric and imperial ran side by side for a while. The 14th went metric in 1970.

Your cable would have been 2.5/1.0.

I was wondering when the larger CPC made an appearance.

I have seen an uncorroborated claim that it happened around June 1975, but I know that my Mum had her house rewired in 1982 and the CPC in the 2.5 is definitely 1 milli.

So, was it old stock, or was the CPC not increased until after 1982?

It’s possible green sleeve and metric occurred at the same time
I had entertained the possibility. We need to get our paws on the metric 14th Edition!!

Table B4 in the imperial 14th states that green (preferred) OR green/yellow can be used.
EDIT: My mistake, green/yellow only applies to flexible cable.

Table 7 in the 13th Edition has no mention of green/yellow.

Last edited:
Both the 13th Edition and the 14th Edition say that bare earthing conductors should be identified with the colour green.
That's interesting.

So, was/is it that the bare CPC merely has to be "identified" but not covered for its entire length?

It is difficult to think of a reason why it needs to be "identified" at all.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd go down the route that metric singles have always been green/yellow for earth.
As an apprentice [72-75] we pulled a long run of red, black & green/yellow mains singles from telecom trunking and I used the earth wire for an aerial.

EDIT: I think I have not installed any single green [as an earth] since starting work in 72

Last edited:
upload_2020-9-11_13-35-39.png

I think I'd go down the route that metric singles have always been green/yellow for earth.
As an apprentice [72-75] we pulled a long run of red, black & green/yellow mains singles from telecom trunking and I used the earth wire for an aerial.

EDIT: I think I have not installed any single green [as an earth] since starting work in 72

Green is used on earth rods and at the supply.
I’m sure I’ve seen green in trunking too.

Green is used on earth rods and at the supply.
I’m sure I’ve seen green in trunking too.
Yes I've certainly seen and worked with older green singles in trunking, it was only a couple of years ago I upgraded the earth wiring in my flats from the original 1968 green [guessing 7/0.044] to 16mm² [what I had to hand].

Yes, I have a hunch it'll be this way too.

But as per previous posts, the Wiki needs fact not opinion, which is why I want to confirm all dates.

Yes, I have a hunch it'll be this way too.

But as per previous posts, the Wiki needs fact not opinion, which is why I want to confirm all dates.
Yes absolutely. Sometimes discussion will draw out the facts.

Ironically I purchased a brown copy of the regs around 73 as I was doing so much electrical work but it has vanished somewhere in the mists of time.

Yeah, a while back I started sorting through boxes that hadn't been unsealed since moving here in 1994 and threw out practical wireless and electronics dating back to 50's, my old school books, BT course notes etc. Basically I emptied 2ft wide shelves floor to ceiling. I have every expectation it was in there. I did look for it when I did my 16th as there was some sort of query.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back