Over The Years....

Sponsored Links
I don’t seem to have trouble with the wiki. You just need to log in to the wiki site at the top of the page using your username and password which you use for this site.
If I recall correctly, the system changed a few years back, such that one had to in some way 'get registered' specifically to enable continuing access to adding/editing things to the wiki. I seem to recall that I went through that process at the time and that someone 'authorised' me.

When I have a moment, I'll see if I can get in now.

Kind Regards, John

I wasn’t aware that many people were not able to access the wiki. I’m happy to keep updating it as necessary and if John has access too then even better.

I think we should change the Wiki page title to Changes in Electrical Installation Practices Over the Years?

Maybe we should put all the changes in chronological order?

The Wiki rules state that its content should be factual, not opinion, so we need to verify any dates. As far as I am aware, all these dates are accurate. Please tell me if you think they are not.
On that note, does anyone know the issue date of the red 15th Edition?

*1947: The BS1363 plug and socket is introduced.

1955: The 13th Edition of the Wiring Regulations, is issued 1 September 1955. This Edition (and previous Editions) allowed the use of a water pipe as an earth electrode, providing it has metal-to-metal joints. Prior to 1955, circuits had a fuse in the neutral conductors, presenting a possible hazard when a fault presents.

1966: The 14th Edition of the Wiring Regulations is issued 1 October 1966 and introduced a requirement for earthing to all lighting circuits. The use of a water pipe as an earth electrode was prohibited (it has never been permissible to use a gas pipe as an earth electrode). Tough Rubber Sheath cable superseded by PVC. Butyl and Silicone rubber cables remain in the regulations.

1970: The 14th Edition was made metric. Previously, imperial dimensions and cable sizes were used. Manufacturers able to use Brown/Blue/Green-Yellow in their appliance flex from 1 April 1970.

1971: Red/Black/Green flex not to be used after 1 April 1971. Introduction of MK Logic range of white, square-cornered wiring accessories.

1977: The colour green to denote conductors that do not ordinarily carry current is superseded by green/yellow after 31 December 1977.

1981: The 15th Edition of the Wiring Regulations is issued. However, due to confusion, use of the 14th Edition is allowed for a transitional period, until the end of 1984.

1984: BS1363 plugs to have part-insulated live and neutral pins after the announcement of BS1363:1984 replaces BS1363:1967.

1985: Electrical installations must be specified to the 15th Edition from 1 January 1985. Voltage-operated ELCBs are deleted from the 15th Edition of the Wiring Regulations in the January 1985 amendment.

1996: Introduction of MK Logic Plus range of white, round-cornered wiring accessories.

2004: Harmonised cable (Brown/Blue) is introduced 1 April 2004.

2006: After 1 April 2006, only harmonised colour cable could be used.*

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are some things I'd like to add, but can't find any exact dates for:

The introduction of 2.5/1.5 T&E.

A timeline of the various stages of RCD introduction. AFAIR, there were sRCDs in the early to mid 80s, then the intro of "16th" split RCD board, then "17th" dual. But I have seen plenty of 70s, 80s and 90s RCD incomer installs over the years.

The infamous "metal CU" regulation.

Seems, I can edit it too.
I do a few minecraft wiki's for people - I still forsee problems with this lol.
Hmm, any changes to other pages needed?
While we are on this subject perhaps other pages could be dragged kicking and screaming into being more informative?

Both the 13th Edition and the 14th Edition say that bare earthing conductors should be identified with the colour green.

that's not the same as mandatory green sleeving

AFAIK this is something required in the early 70s

We need someone with a metric 14th. Mine is imperial.

Anybody?

There are some things I'd like to add, but can't find any exact dates for:

The introduction of 2.5/1.5 T&E.

I would have been in 3rd year of school when I assisted a friends dad add another socket, I was chasing the wall for 7/0.029" T&E but when he returned with new cable it was the first I encountered 2.5mm² T&E, that would have been 68/69 if that helps. I was using 3/0.029" singles on school stage right up to 5th year [70/71] but I don't know how old stock applies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back