Overflow constantly dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My overflow pipe (outside the bathroom window) is constantly dripping. The floats have been changed on both the large and small tank. The water level in the large tank is a good 4 inches below the overflow, so it must be the small tank that is the problem. I've bent the arm down to stop the filling short of the overflow, but it hasn't made any difference!. Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Well, at the moment the heating system is off, and has been all during the summer. The h/w is on a timer for a couple of hours a day, but the pipe is dripping all day. Is it worth turning the h/w off altogether to see what happens??

try isolating the supply to the cylinder.

in the airing cupboard will be a red handle valve on a pipe from the loft to the bottom of the cylinder close that see if it stops.

should be just above the height of the cylinder with a red handle.

Sponsored Links
Is the ballvalve running in either tank, perhaps the highest one.

Sorry to appear so ridiculously dim :oops: but there are no red handles in the airing cupboard. There are plenty of 'wheel' valves, but the only red one is about two inches from the floor, and doesn't go up to the loft, just into the hot water tank and downstairs!

Sorry to appear so ridiculously dim :oops: but there are no red handles in the airing cupboard. There are plenty of 'wheel' valves, but the only red one is about two inches from the floor, and doesn't go up to the loft, just into the hot water tank and downstairs!

That was a red herring it could be black as well :LOL:

The valve on the cold feed to the cylinder.

locate the one thats just above the height of the cylinder on the pipe to the loft and the bottom of the cylinder

Right, I've turned the red wheel at the bottom of the tank off, and left it for about 15mins, and the overflow is still dripping!! Any idea what to try next?

it shouldn't be at the bottom of the tank but just above the cylinder.

sounds like you have closed the bypass valve.

Hi Jackie & everyone. Sounds like you are having the same problem as we are.

We have a pipe sticking out the wall at the back & it is just constantly dripping. We have been in the house for over 3 years now & it has not always done this? It has however been dripping for a good while now & because we don't have the spare cash at the minute cannot afford to call anyone out just yet so I have just searched the web for answers & found this site.

The wall out side now is turning green - I persume that's not good for the building work lol (Forgive me I am a girl lol)

Any ideas on what this could be would be brilliant. In the mean time Jackie if we find out what the problem is I will post here :)

Hi Jackie & everyone. Sounds like you are having the same problem as we are.

We have a pipe sticking out the wall at the back & it is just constantly dripping. We have been in the house for over 3 years now & it has not always done this? It has however been dripping for a good while now & because we don't have the spare cash at the minute cannot afford to call anyone out just yet so I have just searched the web for answers & found this site.

The wall out side now is turning green - I persume that's not good for the building work lol (Forgive me I am a girl lol)

Any ideas on what this could be would be brilliant. In the mean time Jackie if we find out what the problem is I will post here :)

what tank is overflowing large or small ?

OK, I've tried the one just above the cylinder. And....... it's still dripping!!!
:confused:

What is going on in this thread?

Jackie - you say the pipe is dripping all day. If it's an overflow from one of your tanks in the loft you should be able to see this easily - if access is restricted take a mirror and a torch up there and have a look. If it's still dripping all day and both water levels are below the overflow outlets then the water must be coming from another source. Time to start thinking like Sherlock Holmes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back