Overflow from attic leaking

But would they bother bending the overflow down slightly where it exits the wall so it don`t make that stain on the render :?: Or is it just us country boys that go the extra mile for the custards :LOL:

Sponsored Links
That part 55538 is £4 from toolstation. Presumably I'm turning off the water supply, unscrewing the old one, putting in the new one, cleaning out any debris (fishing net) and shut it up and leave it alone?

If it's no more difficult than that then £50/60 seems a bit of a luxury. I am mainly apprehensive about 1) spiders, 2) spiders and 3) spiders. Oh and 4) ruining the plumbing and ceiling. and 5) spiders.

My opinion is: man up and give it a go (and have a plumber's number on standby). How does that sound?

You'll need an adjustable spanner for the pipe connection, and a large pair of slip joint pliers to tighten up the plastic backnuts......plus a fibre washer for the connector (available in packs - toolstation will fix you up).
As your tank has its own isolator its not as if you'll be without any water if you get it wrong!
Why not buy the valve, study how the thing works, and then decide whether to give it a go? Make sure the valve is installed so the float falls vertical, not at an angle....
Worry ye not about the spiders - they've headed off to Tenerife for the winter ;)
John :)

Spiders mean its not damp, always a good sign. :D If you really want to scare them off, throw a handful of pine cones up there. Apparently spiders will not go in any room with a pine cone in each corner! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've never believed that about the pine cones and I'm not about to start! It's only that it's very tight in the attic (you can't stand) and I don't want to come face to face with a big hairy one in such a tight confine.

Anyway, last question then: If I were to get a plumber in, would it be better to replace the whole tank or just the valve.

John's making me think it's beyond my abilities again...

I can't see from the pics if the tank is a metal one, fibreglass or plastic - but if its a metal one its sure to be past its sell by date.....
Hey I'm not trying to put you off DIY and saving pots of munny.... :D
Hugh clearly has a direct line to arachnids regarding the pine cones (maybe they have their own 'website' :eek: ) but with a dab of Chanel No 19 behing the proboscis and a little lippo they're quite sweet really.
John :D

I can't see from the pics if the tank is a metal one, fibreglass or plastic - but if its a metal one its sure to be past its sell by date.....
Hey I'm not trying to put you off DIY and saving pots of munny.... :D
Hugh clearly has a direct line to arachnids regarding the pine cones (maybe they have their own 'website' :eek: ) but with a dab of Chanel No 19 behing the proboscis and a little lippo they're quite sweet really.
John :D
Osma Fibreglass..I`d lay the price of a Part 2 float valve on it ;)

Thats the one...the fibre washers are usually red, but I get a few different sizes 'just in case' . ;)
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back