Overflow from water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a house and there is a leak coming from the overflow from the tank in the loft. Clearly the ball float is not shutting off and I see that it is a Portsmouth valve, the problem is I don't know how to adjust it. Can anyone offer any information on how to do this. Also, I can't seem to locate the mains tap to shut off the supply.

Thanks for any help

Kingsley

Sponsored Links
you could try bending the arm of the ball valve down a bit, so it turns the water off earlier, but it sounds like it needs a new washer or whole new assembly

I never bother to fiddle with them. They're usually scaled up all over, the washer's knackd and might not want to come out... etc. Get a new "part 2" valve for a few pounds from a decent plumbers merchant. and spend the 2 minutes putting it in!

Thanks for your replies.
Where does the washer reside exactly. When I look at the arm it just seems to attach to the ball with a nut and is connected to the other part with a split pin. If I have to get a new "part 2" valve is that the arm and ball bit? Sorry to seem a bit dim about this but I'm new to this sort of thing and I'm determined to do it myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I moved in here I had a similar problem and fixed it by just removing the scale/scum from the moving parts. I also took the oppurtunity (seen as I was up there) to drain the tank totally and give it a right good clean, after all I would be drinking out of it. Just a thought as it's not unheard of to find a pigeon floating in there!

Graeme said:
"after all I would be drinking out of it."

We don't drink out of tank water :!: only from the cold feed mains unless yours is plumb in wrong.The cold water tank storage is normally for hot water and also cold feed to bath and shower mixer for equal pressure.

Also make sure the lid is on the top of tank to keep pigeon away :) and insulated well ready for winter.

Ahhhh :idea: , thanks for clearing that up for me masona, often wondered why the kitchen cold comes out like a pressure washer!

"part 2" specifies a ball valve to part 2 of BS1212.
I buy them for about £1.50 + vat - expect to pay a few quid.

Easier to change than clean, believe me.

Chances are that the cistern in question feeds the bathroom basin cold tap so you clean your teeth with the gloop in the thing. I changed mine to mains, - if it's a mixer you'd need non return valves on H & C.

A cistern installed to the latest water regs is supposed to maintain drinking quality water - - if you stop it warming up in the summer ha ha.

I'm really pleased with myself, not being a plumbing kind of preson, I managed to change the whole corroded valve and now have a shiny new one in place doing the job nicely. It's amazing what you can do if you try - might have saved a £100 plumbers bill too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back