overflow pipe dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of moving in to a new house and the overflow pipe from the cold water has been dripping. when you look at the tank the overflow pipe is slightly below the water line so i changed the ball cock thinking this was the problem. i then removed some excess water and watched for a bit. the in flow was not running so i assumed i had fixed it. no dripping for a few hours then after using some taps and maybe flushed the toilet i noticed it dripping again. when i looked again the water line had rissen again to the original level meaning some was going out the overflow pipe. but the inlet was not rinning or dripping. Help. do i need a plumber. suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
poss a mixer tap is passing cold mains to the hot and back filling the cws in the loft.
try isolating any cold mains fed mixer taps.

As seco says and could also be problems with coil in cylinder. Do you have a hot water cylinder? What type of heating do you have? Do you have another cistern in the loft apart from the one which is overflowing?

Sponsored Links
Turn the stopcock/iso valve to the tank off before you go to bed, and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back