Overflow pipe is dripping outside and it's doing me head in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new here and all that.

Whenever I switch my central heating boiler on to get the house heated up and/or whenever I switch the hot water on, my overflow pipe starts dripping outside. It's becoming a real pain in the you know what :mad:

I have a Euro Combi A/23 MFFI.

Recently, it conked out with no hot water or heating coming through and a British Gas Homecare engineer came out and got it working again. He had installed some new parts. Don't know if he has done something to cause the overflow pipe to start dripping outside or not.

I checked the cistern in the toilet and the water is below the overflow hole inside it.

Sorry for the lack of technical terms. :oops: Can someone please please help me out?

Sponsored Links
Where exactly is this overflow pipe?

Is it in the attic or beneath the boiler? :D

It's a weird one, it pops out to the outside wall of the house from the room where the boiler is located, so the actual start of the pipe is located beneath the boiler itself. Thank you.

This is the pressure relief valve dripping. Your combi must be pressurising to 3 bar or over when in use.

When the rads are cold check to see what the pressure is. It should be just over 1 Bar cold.

If it is but goes above 3 when the rads are on then your expansion vessel may need recharging or replacing.

Sponsored Links
I have just checked the pressure and it is at 2 bar cold. When switching it the boiler on, it stays at 2 also. Would this still mean it is the work that needs done that you mentioned? Cheers

why bother? if you are paying around 200 quid a year to bg, let them come around as many times as it takes to get all the problems sorted out. prv rarely leaks for no reason. you can replace it but the problem is likely to come back

Thanks for all your replies and will take all advice on board. Didn't realise that everyone would be so helpful. Hats off to you all and ta much again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back