Overhead Cable

R

ryanj

Hi,

I'm interested in supplying power to an outbuilding outside my house, I have to use an overhead supply as underground is impossible.

I was wondering what the best kind of cable to use would be, and how to support it, i've looked around lots of posts, but I can't find any talking much about overhead supplies.

Should I just run plain twin-core and earth cable, or do I need some special cable?

Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
If it is run inside steel conduit ( which is about the size of a brush handle in diameter ) then it will be protected and I would say just using normal twin and earth will do. Make sure you run it the shortest route possible and don't leave any of the cable unprotected . Maybe a Sparky on here can come up with a supplier of the conduit, elbows, clips etc for you.

Ideally, a suspended electrical supply should be run on a supporting cable, and as I've been told on here should be 12' minimum from the ground.
You then hang your power cable off this, which ideally should be armoured for which you need to earth the steel armour at each end.
But what are you supplying? if its a single bulb in your shed so you can see what you are doing I would use "pond pump" cable with a plug on the end (i.e. extension lead) but anything else would be better to go with a more permanent/secure/safe option.
Moral is, if its for your benefit and you know what you've done,(and everybody does it at some stage) ok. But don't leave it when you move to kill other folks, they might overload it.
But if in any doubt go for the safest option.

Steel conduit is ok for short spans but not longer runs. The IEE on-site guide has all the heights and lengths etc you can run between buildings and is dependant on lots of things. When I was a kid we had a catenary wire with a T&E strapped to it, not recommended; it never came to any harm but it depends on your circumstances. White PVC cables tend to have the plasticiser bleached out of them by the sun and then they become brittle etc... What is the supply for? People will be able to give you more guidance the more information you provide.

Sponsored Links
ryanj said:
I'm interested in supplying power to an outbuilding outside my house, I have to use an overhead supply as underground is impossible.

Can I ask why it impossible to supply underground ?

I'm going to be powering a couple of lights, and sockets (for lawnmowers, etc.), and eventually a few garden features from this supply.

I can't run it underground, because between the house and the outbuilding there is a tar path, which I don't think I can get under.

Question for the electric guru...

I understand from previous post,you can have overhead supply cable minimum 12' high or underground 18" deep.Can you not run SWA cable inside, say a scaffold pole :!: along the edge of the boundary?

that would be more hassle than it is worth since you should connect the scafold pole to earth. wire armoured cable can be run as you suggest

Seems to be only four options.

1)Over-head supply
2)Under-ground supply (SWA)
3) Conduit / SWA installed right around your garden/yard.
4)Use candles

Hope this helps.

Option 6, Gas-lamp :LOL:

LAMP-STORM-GG.jpg

Thats the lighting sorted.............what about the power?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back