Overhead Cable

Option 2,

21_035.jpg

Will one of these even fit into your structure? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would it be OK to run SWA overhead, with any catenary wires?

And i've decided to go with a 20amp breaker, and 2.5mm2 wire going to the outbuilding, is this OK to power what I want? (Garden Tools, Lights?)

it would, so long as you have a fused spur to tun the lights (or you could put in a small consumers unit)

Sponsored Links
I've recently removed a supply cable to my garage ('cos I was having pebbledashing done on the house) - it was normal T/E, which exited the house via an airbrick at ground level, went up and along the wall held on by normal cable clips, and then across to the garage on a catenary wire.

It was not 12' off the ground, it was not protected, and it was not installed by me. The outer jacket was definitely degrading - but it had been out there in the open for at least 15 years.

The garage is due to come down soon-ish (less than a 12-month), so I don't want to go overboard when I reconnect the garage for now - I plan to use PVC conduit with 6491X singles inside (MUCH easier to pull through conduit than T/E - I wouldn't even think about trying that).

Next year when the new outbuilding(s) go up I'll be using SWA cable, underground.

actually its not as bad as you may think. if you bend the end of the t & e right over and squash it flat with pliers usually goes through.

but as you are running singles dont forget one for the earth

I see lots of people just run T/E overhead, is using SWA overhead just overkill? Should I just stick with T/E?

NO. if you search these forums you will find why you shouldn't use t & e

you will see it because they know no better (yet)

the answer is because t & e will degrade, and split over time. swa is made to take bumps temp change etc t & e isnt

breezer said:
actually its not as bad as you may think. if you bend the end of the t & e right over and squash it flat with pliers usually goes through.

but as you are running singles dont forget one for the earth

Well - I've got 9 or 10 90-degree bends to negotiate, in different planes, and I just know that somewhere the T/E will kink. Even though I won't actually be pulling the wires through the assembled run of conduit, but instead will be pushing the lengths of conduit, bends etc over the wires as I go, I still think singles will make my life easier.

you are supposed to use a draw tape to put through after you have put the conduit up. screwfix sell them

"supposed"?

Why?

If I assemble the conduit by threading each length, coupler and bend in turn over the wires, am I doing anything wrong?

Unusual, maybe. Unnecessary, perhaps (but I've had cable-pulling go bad on me before).

But not supposed to? Surely not..... :?:

perhaps i should have said impossible, but then i was thinking of steel conduit, never done as you propose with plastic, always put it up first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back