Overhead distribution

Crafty said:
If these were 11,000 volts (medium volt) or 220,000 volts (high voltage), then i'd be a little more worried :eek: :LOL:

Theres a lot of overhead distribution lines around here, I know of some 220kv lines

Standard UK High Voltages are classed as 11, 33, 66, 132, 275, 400Kv

The spans between pylons can amount to several tonnes, AFAIK.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
Theres not much chance of the electric leaping the gap to ground, as its only 230/400 volts. They would have to physically touch the cable to get a shock.
:eek:
That's why I was worried about the 4 metre aluminium flag pole laying across the lawn, or his window cleaner etc.,etc.

Yeh........those guys have to wear special overall suits of copper due to the PD across the wire..........can be hundreds of volts over a metre....mmm....rather them than me !!

Are you sure they are uninsulated? I was at a property today which was supplied overhead, and the cables from the pole were attatched to the house at approx 10' above ground level. They looked unisulated until close inspection. They are actually VIR cloth insulated (Even the earth!).

VIR presumably well perished and porous by now?

I remember hearing about a rolling programme to replace bare overheads to domestic properties with insulated in some areas.

RF Lighting said:
Are you sure they are uninsulated? I was at a property today which was supplied overhead, and the cables from the pole were attatched to the house at approx 10' above ground level. They looked unisulated until close inspection. They are actually VIR cloth insulated (Even the earth!).
Might as well not be insulated then. Anyway, I thought the OP said the cables only crossed the garden, and didnt go to the house?

Crafty said:
RF Lighting said:
Might as well not be insulated then. Anyway, I thought the OP said the cables only crossed the garden, and didnt go to the house?
Not 100% sure they are not insulated as I did not climb the pole to check, but each cable is a multi-stranded twisted conductor which further along the lane has been sleeved on some previous occasion for what ever reason. The house is supplied from the first pole to the apex of the gable which is fine, but the cables then go on to the next pole down the lane crossing the garden in the process( bend in the road). Anyway the latest is that I gave my friend the info I had found & he seemed more concerned about potential damage & disturbance to his garden during remedial work, than the safety aspect, so I wondered why I bothered, but thanks for all the help & suggestions at least I learned something along the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back