DNO magic words

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a minor renovation coming up during which I want to make a few changes to my electricity supply, either to tidy the place up or to future proof it while I've got things dug up etc.

Our current installation is old but not 'oh god don't touch that' old. I wanted to describe it to you experienced chaps here and see if there's anything that might tick DNO boxes for free remedial work, if phrased correctly. I am aware that some of my projects will be expensive and I am prepared to pay for it, I just don't want to pay for something if the DNO would have dealt with it for free had I explained it differently.

1) The overhead supply cable is apparently 'the old style'. It's two separately insulated conductors twisted around each other. The conductors themselves seem to be bearing the weight of the cable.

My sparks has expressed reluctance at removing some museum piece exterior lights near this cable due to the lack of grounded shielding. Given his concern I also wonder whether it could pose a safety hazard given that I have young kids and irrespective of what I tell them I can't rule out the fact that they'll do something exceptionally stupid one day like try and toss a rope over it.

2) The supply cable is tacked to the wooden soffits(?) around the house, so I can't really maintain them properly. The soffits are not in terrible condition right now but clearly they will fail over time.

3) The supply cable enters through a hole in the wooden door frame. Again, this isn't an immediate issue but aside from being ugly it does limit options for maintaining the frame.

4) The supply to the house next door (which my parents live in) comes to our house from the pole, then splits at roof height and traverses to their house on another (more modern, SWA) overhead cable. Where that SWA cable is attached to their house it has pulled a stone out of alignment. I don't think its in immediate danger of falling out but it isn't ideal, and I don't know if it's got potential to move in future. The cable is at a height where removals vans can back in to it (ask me how I know) so this may be what has pulled the block out of alignment in the past.

If there's anything in the 4 scenarios above that you believe would warrant the DNO (Western Power) making remedial changes at their cost, please let me know, and please let me know if there is any terminology etc that I should use when describing the current setup to them that would help.

I've stuck a couple of pictures in just in case it's helpful.

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• Pasted Graphic 5.jpg
    Pasted Graphic 5.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Pasted Graphic 6.jpg
    Pasted Graphic 6.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Pasted Graphic 8.jpg
    Pasted Graphic 8.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Pasted Graphic 9.jpg
    Pasted Graphic 9.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 190
  • Pasted Graphic 12.jpg
    Pasted Graphic 12.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
... 4) The supply to the house next door (which my parents live in) comes to our house from the pole, then splits at roof height and traverses to their house on another (more modern, SWA) overhead cable.
Are you sure it's SWA? If so, where and how is its armour earthed?

Kind Regards, John

Are you sure it's SWA? If so, where and how is its armour earthed?

Kind Regards, John

Hmm. Well, I was until you asked about it :cautious:.

The cable in question is visible in graphic 5 and 12 in my attachments. It certainly looks like there is a metal shielding that has been used for the mechanical anchoring of the cable. Whether the shield is electrically earthed is a good question; I'd have to admit I can't see an obvious connection.

Look more like straight-concentric, doesn't it? I can't see any metal shielding, that looks like some kind of cable anchor twisted round the cable to link it to the supporting hook.

I would expect a TT earthing system - ie an earth rod, though I guess it could be TN-C-S

Sponsored Links
The supply looks pretty standard, from the pole is twin (probably 35mm) ABC, then it is what is called lead ins going underneath the soffit and into the meter position. The ABC isn’t really that old, maybe 15/20 years? Before it would of been twin open wire from the pole.
The cable going to the other house is called plain concentric, the neutral and earth are combined. The anchoring to the wall is standard practice too, called a one piece insulator and the wrap that holds onto the cable doesn’t need to be earthed, it is just to hold the cable.
You could look into getting it all altered and possibly even put the supply into an outside box instead. Plenty of options to think about, I wouldn’t say there’s anything wrong right now, just a little ‘old’

You could look into getting it all altered and possibly even put the supply into an outside box instead. Plenty of options to think about, I wouldn’t say there’s anything wrong right now, just a little ‘old’

Thanks. That's more or less what I think I'm going to get a quote for. We've got a listed house though, so it'll have to move to an outbuilding rather than a wall box, but I believe that is feasible provided we allow for an additional safety device to protect the (well over 3m) tails.

I notice nobody's repeated any safety concern. Is my electrician just being a bit paranoid? Provided it's safe I'll probably leave the main overhead cable as-is and spend the money getting the supply relocated instead.

The cables wrapped around each other are new. They’re ABC cables, aerial bunched conductors. They are designed for overhead spans and are well insulated.

Your drop to the house is a straight concentric, which joins to the old single tails with a crimp which has been covered in compound. This is the nasty bit. Everything else looks ok.

You may find the DNO may replace your entire drop from pole to incomer.

I notice nobody's repeated any safety concern. Is my electrician just being a bit paranoid? Provided it's safe I'll probably leave the main overhead cable as-is and spend the money getting the supply relocated instead.
People's attitudes to theoretical risks' vary dramatically, with some losing sleep over incredibly improbable theoretical/hypothetical scenarios. However,what you have is probably not appreciably different from what very many (probably millions) of others have, and I don't think that (m)any would have any 'safety concerns' about it. In fact, I have a situation which is not all that much different from yours.

If I had any 'theoretical concerns', it would probably relate to your point (4). I am sure that there are rules/regulations about the height of cables in locations where there might (even if only very rarely) be vehicular traffic, and if you have a cable which is low enough to be hit by a removals van I would have to wonder whether that it within those rules. It sounds as if you have good reason to 'know' that the cable can be struck by a removals van, so it would perhaps do no harm to ask the DNO if this situation is 'acceptable'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back