Overhead Power Cables Near House - How Close Is Too Close?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to see a house for sale in France next week. (Yes, I know - scoundrels). The photos the agent has sent me show some overhead power lines near the house. I don't know how close, I realise the perspective of the photo could be deceptive. Are these types of cables anything to be concerned about? Are they too close? Would they put you off if viewing the house with the intention of buying?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They look a bit unsightly, but quute common in rural areas.

If you are thinking of health dangers, a lot of research has been carried out and found no ill effects from proximity to cables, substations, TVs etc.

However, in areas of industrial pollution, it seems that very high voltages around transmission cables will ionise the air and can change some of the pollutants into more harmful chemicals. Transmission pylons are very high and seldom close to homes so this is very rare, and in developed countries factory chimneys spewing dangerous fumes are no longer allowed.

My last house was in rural Midlothian, there were overhead cables everywhere. Almost all of them were very close to the houses they were attached to.

You might wish the wires were further away when the starlings gather for evensong - better buy a goat for that garden an' all, old sprout. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
My last house was in rural Midlothian, there were overhead cables everywhere. Almost all of them were very close to the houses they were attached to.
Local distribution cables, "low voltage," lots of research and no ill effects found.

IIRC, there is much more electromagnetic radiation from sitting in front of a TV or PC.

Tin foil hat, I don't see a problem.

I remember years ago a scaremongering documentary highlighting the problems many householders face when living near to high voltage distribution lines, but formed the impression that they wanted someone to bury them underground to increase their property values !

My lad and his partner have a house in France with similar cable. They don't give him any problems.

Total guess, but, given the lack of insulators on the pole, possibly telecoms?
The 2nd cable going to the pole with the street lamp probably power?

Screenshot_20230217-133009_Chrome.jpg

Tin foil hat, I don't see a problem.

I remember years ago a scaremongering documentary highlighting the problems many householders face when living near to high voltage distribution lines, but formed the impression that they wanted someone to bury them underground to increase their property values !
yep and they were also refusing people mortgages if they lived under powerlines to pylons

The same folk would be put off buying a house with 'smart meter' type utilities meters, because they believe evil little men live inside them.

Mucking forons.

I did the research 25 years ago. There's no health threat with those. The decay rate of the field strength with distance is huge; and it's not significant with those wires to begin with. But they are ugly!

Thanks to everyone for your views and help. Looks like the wires are just a bit unsightly, but no major worry for me - but you always have to consider what others may think if you needed to sell in the future. I would plant some fast growing trees/bushes along the wire fence if I buy, giving more privacy for the house and garden/field (only an acre, so not too many goats needed) - this would also help hide the wires from inside the property. Just hope the swallows/starlings don't rise too early!

RandomGrinch>>>>>> Unfortunately I can't check on Google earth as I don't know the exact address/street - agent won't give it until I've viewed. Though as it's only a one horse hamlet, a wander with Google streetview will probably find it.

Sponsored Links
Back