OVERHEATING CABLE

Sponsored Links
it carries 47A ( table 4D5A, ref method 1 clipped direct.... old copy of the regs book softus? :D ) only under ideal circumstances..

derating factors such as cable grouping and so on lower this..

you have one possible answer already.. the contacts on the board that the module plug into may tarnished, corroded or just sloppy..

overheating will exaggerate this..

since it's on it's own DB and there is obviously a fault with it somewhere, and you fail to mention whether the shower is on an RCD or not, then I would replace the single way fuse board with an RCBO in an enclosure..

if it says 30 on the main switch to the one way, then it's rated at 30A.. regardless of what the latest wylex says..

it's not on a rcd, so if i do replace it then I probably will (surprised to learn that there is no requirement in the regs nor do the niceic stipulate that its is done, logic is that its a class 2 device in essence and will make no difference only if someone drills the supply cable. (like any other fixed piece of equipement.
The unit is not marked 30A on the outside only on the baseplate on the inside and just the number 30 not 30A or 30 amps could be any part number etc the main switc is unmarked from any reference.

thanks for all the replys the advice is great and I thank you all (please dont stop)

Sponsored Links
photo! photo!

I'm not keen on 1-way CUs. For not much more you can buy a good big one (the price of an empty plastic box and some fresh air is not high). In future you may need additional circuits and this will give you capacity.

as you are initially only planning to use one circuit, an RCBO would be a good option. RCBOs are terrific.

sorry no can do photo, all I did was re run a new cable and reconnected it into the old switchgear like for like but upgraded the to a plug in mcb from a 3036

notyou said:
...re run a new cable and reconnected it into the old switchgear like for like but upgraded the to a plug in mcb from a 3036
Awoogah! Awoogah! Part P! Part P!

isn't durham in Ireland softus?

part P doesn't apply there does it?

EDIT.. nevermind.. it's in England.. no wonder i failed GCSE geography..

since it was a plug in fuse then no doubt it has been replaced several times at some point.. which can and does weaken the contacts that hold the carrier blades.. and subsequently the new plug in blades..

time for an upgrade my boy..

ColJack said:
isn't durham in Ireland softus?
I'm aware of your edit, but I thought I'd make the point that I always ignore the location that people choose until they confirm that it wasn't some kind of jape.

And although it's been noted before, but for simplicity I obstinately regard everywhere in the UK as being bound by the spirit, if not the letter, of Part P.

PART p hmmm
FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG.....But like for like not part P, repairs to damaged cable not part P, and who said i was not part P anyway

But you have changed the over current protective device which in turn has altered the circuits characteristics - this makes it notifiable.

notyou said:
and who said i was not part P anyway

Well are you? Are you actually the physical incarnation of the statutory instrument itself? If so, wow! Can I have your autograph?

notyou said:
PART p hmmm
FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG.....But like for like not part P, repairs to damaged cable not part P
You said that you'd run a new cable. I've assumed that it's to a bathroom, therefore I don't think that condition of the old cable is relevant.

Also, you've changed the circuit protective device.

and who said i was not part P anyway
Er, I certainly implied it - are you claiming that you are? :eek:

If so, how is it that you don't have a clamp meter, and how is it that you don't know the rating of the 1-way that you're using? :confused:

not sure how they'd interpret it..

you can change like for like without notifying
you can replace damaged cables for the same using the same run..

however.. since you in effect removed the shower and it's associated wiring, and then installed a new shower with a new cable it COULD be seen as a new circuit in a special location..

if you did it over 2 days and raised seperate job sheets for it then it should be ok..

( I changed the cable because it was damaged, then they called the next day to change the shower.. )

Softus, I actually thought that durham was in souther ireland ( Eire ) which is not part of the UK..

does N.I. not come under Part P either then?
does wales for that matter..?

EDIT: is having a clamp meter mandatory to being part P registered then?

ColJack said:
Softus, I actually thought that durham was in souther ireland ( Eire ) which is not part of the UK.
I suspect it's because (for a reason I don't know) the county of Durham is often referred to as County Durham, perhaps to distinguish from the town of Durham.

does N.I. not come under Part P either then?
I honestly don't know - I regard Part P as covering all of "Electrics UK", because I'm too lazy (my bad) to deal with any mismatches.

does wales for that matter..?
I happen to know that it does.

many citizens of the UK who live in, or come from, parts of the UK which are not England, are very offended by the lazy mind which treats "UK" as equivalent to "England"

"Part P" applies to England and Wales (only)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back