overloaded circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys i need advice. I'm having a PIR of my flat rewiring (brand new 2008) next week. I know nothing about electrics haha, tho I hope you can advise me on this. I have a circuit of 32 amps that feeds ALL the kitchen appliances but boiler, oven and hob (that have a dedicated circuit each) and also 3 double sockets. I would think it's a overloaded circuit? I would just want to be prepared in case the guy is going to object that. Any advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Diversity is applied to the circuit when considering load.

So you may have a ring with 10 x 13 amp appliances on a 32 amp ring which would give the circuit (10 x 13) 130 amps load against 32 amp protection, but............

Diversity calcs consider that not all devices would be used at the same time, some such as a kettle, toaster, microwave would be on for only a few minutes here and there.

Does your 32 amp mcb trip due to overload ?

If you're not making frequent trips to switch the MCB for that circuit back on then it's unlikely to be overloaded.

Sponsored Links
guys many thanks for your comments, i feel more reassured. The circuit breaker has never tripped by the way. Even when running , say drier, d/w, kettle, cooker hood, m/w and the toaster at same time as a test. I was only surprised to see that so many appliances were fed by same circuit and thought it was abnormal. I just wanted some opinions in case of the guy doing a PIR would object that particular circuit.
thanks again!

Hi everyone again :)
I had my PIR done, the select registered electrician found all was good except that i don't have RCD protecion on any circuit. He advised me to fit the consumer unit with a RCD system. I had a look around and seen that there are different ways to do it. I'd like to get an idea of what is best and at same affordable to post fit a RCD system on my system. Can you help?
Shall I fit any socket circuits individually oy just the main one in the unit?
The electrician talked me through a split board tho it wld be quite a job and costly too. is there a simpler way than it?
Thanks for any input/advice :)

It was wired in 2008 and no circuit has RCD protection, even circuits supplying socket outlets? Is it a ground floor flat?

What's the make of your consumer unit?
Could you upload a photo?

You may be able to have RCBO's fitted to your existing consumer unit which are a combination of an MCB and RCD.

Upload a photo of the CU so we can see what MCB's are supplying what circuits. As GaryMo suggests there are different ways to achieve RCD protection - some easier than others.

While your exisiting CU might not be up to the current regs, there is no regulation that says you must bring it up to date. Despite this I think I would prefer to have any shower circuit or sockets with RCD protection wherever possible...

Yep, but as it is for the use of trained persons it isn't a big issue.
One reason I can think of for them to do it like that is to leave a terminal available if E7 was to be installed.

Many DNO's do it that way - they prefer to leave the neutral hard.

Yep, but as it is for the use of trained persons it isn't a big issue.
One reason I can think of for them to do it like that is to leave a terminal available if E7 was to be installed.

I remember something now... before rewiring the flat i asked my energy supplier to re-routing the meter into a cupboard. However the old CU was still up in the hall and needed of course to be kept live so they made a kind of bridging between the meter and the CU. There was a hunging cable for a while until a new CU was fitted by the meter. This cable was coming from the isolator. Do you think this is the reason for the unusual configuration? What's an E7? :)

There was a hunging cable for a while until a new CU was fitted by the meter. This cable was coming from the isolator. Do you think this is the reason for the unusual configuration? What's an E7? :)
Maybe, maybe not. :LOL:

Economy 7 (E7) is where your energy tariff switches to a lower rate cost between (I think) 23.30 - 06.30hrs. You pay a higher daytime rate to compensate for this. The benefit is if you have electric heating such as storage heaters then they can be warmed up during the cheaper nightime rate, hopefully saving you money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back