Oversized notching

Sponsored Links
Got any more context?

What size joists? What size notches? Where abouts in the span? Is it one or two joists or every single one, midspan, holding a tiled bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Got any more context?

What size joists? What size notches? Where abouts in the span? Is it one or two joists or every single one, midspan, holding a tiled bathroom?
50mm deep in 150mm joists x6, 3m span, 300mm from end!

Inspectors don't inspect notches!

However, the question should not be "will this fail an inspection" but "will the floor joists collapse in a few years when my extension has passed, the timber stabilised and the floor loaded"

300mm from the end it’ll be fine. Close to the middle it might be a problem.
As stated it will be OK, assuming the timber was 100 x 60 the shear stress would be 0.5N/mm2 whilst allowable is 7N/mm2 so theoretically structurally OK for shear which is what its all about at beams ends. Convincing BC if they pick it up ??

Inspectors don't inspect notches!

However, the question should not be "will this fail an inspection" but "will the floor joists collapse in a few years when my extension has passed, the timber stabilised and the floor loaded"
Don’t inspect notches? So why do we pay for there service!? The floor falls through who’s liable….

Some of the things you see in real world. Downlight notched into a 100mm joist only 25mm left of the joist!
Soilpipe bend notched into 9 " joist not much left of joist. Many of these new linear shower wastes require carving the joists up. Never seen a structural failure though.

Things do bend and flex though...

I've a universal column holding my bathroom floor / kitchen ceiling. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was (previous home owner) holesawing a wastepipe through the middle of each 2x7 joist, midspan, with a freshly tiled floor and underfloor heating laid on top. Along with a series of new notches for water and towel rails.

That combined with the loft conversion decades earlier moving purlins onto a dividing wall that is sitting on these joists (with nothing underneath) and many other historical notches.

Total deflection mid span was 65mm.

Lucking there's 3m ceilings. Added the UC, new suspended ceiling and you'd never know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back