Owl intuition problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has just moved into a house where the heating is controlled by the above system. It's a few days before she is linked to the internet. Is there anyway that she can operate the Vaillant eco Tec plus 831 boiler to give here heating pending the installation of the internet?

Sponsored Links
You’d need to link out the thermostat receiver, so as not to open the boiler cover, I would expect.

My daughter has just moved into a house where the heating is controlled by the above system. It's a few days before she is linked to the internet. Is there anyway that she can operate the Vaillant eco Tec plus 831 boiler to give here heating pending the installation of the internet?
The Owl intuition is an energy monitoring unit, it does not switch the heating on or off, the heating is switched off somewhere else

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The Owl intuition is an energy monitoring unit, it does not switch the heating on or off, the heating is switched off somewhere else
I used to have the monitor device. What my daughter has is definitely a control for the heating. Thanks away.

Surely it has a manual override option?
If not, then dispose of it and fit proper controls - otherwise every time the internet connection is unavailable, you will be in the cold. Likewise if that manufacturer's servers or whatever else cease to function, then so does the thermostat.

Could not see any of the instruction manuals at https://www.theowl.com/index.php/products/smart-heating-control/ because inexplicably it requires that Flash is installed to view them.

It's a few days before she is linked to the internet

I don't know how your system works, but I sometimes use my phone to connect to the net, and then use it to create a wifi network, sufficient for the house (mobile hotspot). I can also connect it to a desktop with a USB cable and share the phone's connection (tethering)

Just to clarify, the Owl gadget works on the same basis as Hive & Nest. It doesn't need to connect to a central Owl control, it uses the wi-fi to connect the controller to the boiler.
Just had a thought, the modem has been delivered, pending connection. If the modem is plugged into the power would a wi-fi network be created that could be used?

Just had a thought, the modem has been delivered, pending connection. If the modem is plugged into the power would a wi-fi network be created that could be used?

Possibly, when I try to connect to my router/modem, before the internet light comes on, it states the network is available.

The OWL heating controls should come with a room sensor (thermostat) and possibly a relay to allow the temperature to be managed and talk to the central control unit. On that control there is a manual override allowing the system to be boosted. Is that missing?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back