Oxy Pilot spark electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
stop being a tight t--t and do your family a favour get it sorted properly , (y)

OK. So the choice is only between about £150 or a box of matches.? The option of a £5 electrode is not a possibility ?

OP I've gone past caring now as you only seem to want to hear the answer that you want to hear so whatever you wanted to do then go ahead and do it. Your family and neighbours have my condolences.

Jon

Sponsored Links
OK. So the choice is only between about £150 or a box of matches.? The option of a £5 electrode is not a possibility ?

where the fook are you getting £150 from , I've never paid that sort of money:confused:

Darwin award.jpg

Darwin was good at focussed thinking. I am talking about a non safety related component being fitted in a manner that does not compromise safety, so why not?

Estimate of £65 for a new unit plus services of a registered engineer.

Anyway I guess I was wrong to think that this section was related to DIY.

you guess right(y) , you have a problem a big problem ' you ' just listen for a change . NON SAFETY RELATED :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you guess right(y) , you have a problem a big problem ' you ' just listen for a change . NON SAFETY RELATED :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have re read the thread and it has already been said that the spark electrode in itself is not an essential safety component.
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what safety is compromised by its absence, failure or misfitting, unless the gas transporting components were disturbed?
That's about the most sensible thing you have posted
I respect your right to hold an opinion, but further explanation would be welcome; we seem to be back to the opinion that all gas work is unsuitable for DIY, even if it relates to a non gas component of a system that can be accessed and worked on without touching the gas or combustion products route.

Anyway I guess I was wrong to think that this section was related to DIY.

It is related to DIY plumbing and central heating as the title of the forum suggests.

It is not related to modifying safety devices on what could be a potential death trap should the correct procedures and safety checks be carried out.

Which part of that are you finding it so difficult to understand?

It could cost you 10's of 1000's of pounds to get your modifaction certified to the standards that the original has passed on.

It could cost you 100's of 1000's to replace the front walls of your house, your roof and your neighbours rebuilds.

It could cost you millions in damages, your life and your mental state of mind when you realise you have killed your wife and children and those of the neighbours to.

Still want to save £65?

I have re read the thread and it has already been said that the spark electrode in itself is not an essential safety component.
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what safety is compromised by its absence, failure or misfitting, unless the gas transporting components were disturbed?

You have been told this numerous times!!

You really need a new gas engineer, Oxy pilot is a single control and can't be modified. If its just the spark electrode better to get a spark gun from Kleene-eze, if it's the thermocouple replace the whole unit.

Yay lets all collude in the illusion the "he" exists. I like role play;)
Let's call him "Ben".
So Ben says you can diy this job and that you should get some pointers from someone helpful? So presumably Ben isn't very helpful then? (Strange that I know a gasman called Ben who's not very helpful)

Not only is an oxypilot a safety device but you would also have to disconnect and reconnect the gas supply in order to change it.
Upon reinstating the gas supply to the appliance you would be required to carry out a number of checks/tests to confirm safe operation of the appliance and its safety devices.
Do you know what these are and have the equipment/competency to carry out these checks.

I'll give you some time to contact Ben so don't worry about answering straight away(y)

You have been told once already. The Oxy-Pilot is manufactured as separate parts and then assembled.

It is then put to safety tests and passed of failed on these. This with the original factory units in the original factory positions.

To alter these would be going against a manufacturers CE mark and would be classed as modification of a safety device.

Or to put it into something you may understand. Stop f00king about with it!!

Jon

Your right about the spark electrode. It won't make any difference to the Saftey.

You are however very wrong about the thermocouple, which proves you may know how a thermocouple works but don't know how an oxypilot works.

What you fail to acknowledge is that all the advise given here is correct, it also makes no difference to any of us what you do. If you kill your self and your family that is ultimately your choice to mess with stuff you don't understand.
I can't speak for everyone but I will sleep well knowing you've been correctly advised. You can't help everyone.

You have been told it is the whole oxypilot that needs to be changed AND that it needs to be replaced by someone competent to carry out the nessisary test afterwards.

I have explained. That IF u could replace the spark electrode alone then I wouldn't have any effect on combustion.
The fact is you CANT.
I don't see what else there is to explain

The oxypilot is a "sealed unit" because it is tested as one if the thermocouple were to be placed incorrectly by a very small amount. It could stop the oxypilot from doing its job, which is why it's a "sealed unit"

How you possibly think it could be drilled out I'll never know.

I'll say it again just incase.
You cannot replace the spark electrode alone.
You need to replace the oxypilot complete.
You will need a competent gas engineer to do it for you.

Stop being so fecking tight.

It is related to DIY plumbing and central heating as the title of the forum suggests.

It is not related to modifying safety devices on what could be a potential death trap should the correct procedures and safety checks be carried out.

It could cost you 10's of 1000's of pounds to get your modifaction certified to the standards that the original has passed on.

It could cost you 100's of 1000's to replace the front walls of your house, your roof and your neighbours rebuilds.

It could cost you millions in damages, your life and your mental state of mind when you realise you have killed your wife and children and those of the neighbours to.

Still want to save £65?

Jon

FFS a spark electrode alone isn't a safety device when incorporated in an oxypilot assembly it is.

U can't change the spark electrode without modification of a certified safety device, but who am I to tell u what to do I give up............

I acknowledge that bit, but the gas section is not open to queries so this seemed the most likely for a gas fire query.
The bit by which safety "considerations" are relied on as the sole reason to not work on a non safety non gas part.
At the moment, the very tip of the electrode is absent. Has the safety device been modified so that I face all those calamities or is the safety aspect not compromised? If I remove more of the electroide would it be of concern/ If I replace it, why would life as we know it, come to a grinding end?

FFS a spark electrode alone isn't a safety device when incorporated in an oxypilot assembly it is.

U can't change the spark electrode without modification of a certified safety device, but who am I to tell u what to do I give up............
I absolutely agree but cannot a certified safety device be modified if the safety aspect is not altered without having the resulting item recertified?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back