Oxy Pilot spark electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The spark electrode tip on my Paragon living coal 2000 gas fire has broken off. As only the complete oxy- pilot assembly is available (at a price!) and the electrode seems to be non-removable, does anyone know whether it is possible to replace it with a generic electrode, even if it means drilling it out?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
"He" says its a DIY job but that I will find a lot of gas engineers who mistakenly believe that all DIYgas work is illegal or to be discouraged, but that I may get a quick pointer from some helpful one.

You really need a new gas engineer, Oxy pilot is a single control and can't be modified. If its just the spark electrode better to get a spark gun from Kleene-eze, if it's the thermocouple replace the whole unit.

Sponsored Links
"He" says its a DIY job but that I will find a lot of gas engineers who mistakenly believe that all DIYgas work is illegal or to be discouraged, but that I may get a quick pointer from some helpful one.
Yay lets all collude in the illusion the "he" exists. I like role play;)
Let's call him "Ben".
So Ben says you can diy this job and that you should get some pointers from someone helpful? So presumably Ben isn't very helpful then? (Strange that I know a gasman called Ben who's not very helpful)

Not only is an oxypilot a safety device but you would also have to disconnect and reconnect the gas supply in order to change it.
Upon reinstating the gas supply to the appliance you would be required to carry out a number of checks/tests to confirm safe operation of the appliance and its safety devices.
Do you know what these are and have the equipment/competency to carry out these checks.

I'll give you some time to contact Ben so don't worry about answering straight away(y)

It is just the spark electrode tip.
Why does the oxy pilot need to be available only as a complete item?
( eg Thermocouples can be replaced on other equipment.)
The electrode is clearly an individual component but I am not sure whether it is irremovably fixed into the whole unit.
(Just for clarification "He" is me, and that is another discussion matter)

An oxypilot is a Saftey device and shouldn't be tampered with. Consider it a "sealed unit"

If you knew how an oxypilot worked you'd understand why it can't/shouldn't be split.

The spark electrode tip on my Paragon living coal 2000 gas fire has broken off. As only the complete oxy- pilot assembly is available (at a price!) and the electrode seems to be non-removable, does anyone know whether it is possible to replace it with a generic electrode, even if it means drilling it out?
Thanks.
Are you having a laugh ??? Asking about drilling shows your not competent , they are a seal unit and fiddling with a safety device come on man what's wrong with you ??? Wonder if your family is happy with you messing with gas because you clearly haven't a clue , ask your imaginary gas engineer to sort it out for you

I am amused that we have been told that an RGI has been there.

The Oxy Pilot assembly is perhaps £70 to buy but surely that RGI will also have made a charge for diagnosis of the problem. That diagnostic fee could easily be £84 or so.

Tony

Why do you say it is a sealed unit and assume I do not know how it works?
The gas burner unit, the thermocouple sensor unit and the spark electrode are 3 individually manufactured parts that are then affixed to a bracket.
Why would it be unreasonable to drill out the spark electrode and slip in a
new one? Why does that necessitate gas tests? Would leaving it nonfunctional and using a match be preferable or need a gas engineer?

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
It's all in the instructions Tony. Complete assembly needs replaced with associated re-commissioning. One for a gas person.

Yes they are separate components affixed to a bracket. At which point they were tested and approved.

You plan to to drill out the electrode and replace? What will hold it there? You are going to do this in position?

The bottom line is, the correct components are not available individually. It is a sealed unit and requires to be replaced as such my a competent gas engineer.

Diy gas work will not be encouraged

It may be the manufacturers policy not to supply individual components and to encourage sales of assembled units but why is it not possible or reasonable to do as I have contemplated and why does the concept of work on a minor electrical part cause such venom from some gas engineers?
Perhaps best to keep the two matters separated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back