P D rights on side extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I am confused... I have a L shaped house and I want to build an extension on the side. The front of the house is 22m and the L on the side goes back 9m. As I understand it can I build a side extension 11m by 9m..? I have a very big garden and have not extended before. Any info would be great...thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks..! It is detached, and as you look at from the front it is the 22m wide. I would want the side extension added the side that is already there's and is 9 m deep. Hope that helps... .

Sounds like you have interpreted the rules correctly and you can do this under PD provided you comply with the other bits and pieces: this is not a corner plot, height restrictions not in an AONB or conservation area etc.

Check with your local planning department that "your property retains its full permitted development rights" as can sometimes be the case, they will be able to confirm this over the phone.

Sponsored Links
My house was converted stables and I got a certificate of lawful development last year for the house and garden. There is no article 4 on it but it is in the green belt. On the link you sent me there Is a very similar drawing and it looks like the council will deem one it as a side and rear extension, but they show it is ok under permitted development. Thanks

Sorry forgot to say, it is not a coner plot. My roof is felt, so would the extension have to be felt too..?

I would be surprised if they did not restrict the PD so
Check with your local planning department that "your property retains its full permitted development rights" as can sometimes be the case, they will be able to confirm this over the phone.

Materials would be expected to be similar so you could get away with epdm, grp or felt they all look pretty similar.

Thanks again for you help..!!
I have looked at the Certifiate of lawful development that they issued me, last year, and it doesnt seem to have any mention of restrictions in any way.
I am under Bromley council and there is no was of asking them as they do not have a phone service, which is ridiculous, instead all questions have to go in on letter format that costs £42..!!

Do you think i would be better to do it as a letter first, or go straight for the Certificate of proposed development under pd rights..??

Thanks again for you help..!!
I have looked at the Certifiate of lawful development that they issued me, last year, and it doesnt seem to have any mention of restrictions in any way.
I am under Bromley council and there is no was of asking them as they do not have a phone service, which is ridiculous, instead all questions have to go in on letter format that costs £42..!!

Do you think i would be better to do it as a letter first, or go straight for the Certificate of proposed development under pd rights..??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back