packing old job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a decent Paid job at the moment but i'm sick of working shifts (13years), I am a P & D by trade and i was thinking of going back to it only do i go for another employer or take that step and go on my own. What has it been like for other decorators who have gone on they own.

Sponsored Links
hangem said:
I have a decent Paid job at the moment but i'm sick of working shifts (13years), I am a P & D by trade and i was thinking of going back to it only do i go for another employer or take that step and go on my own. What has it been like for other decorators who have gone on they own.

Hi Hang (or is that Hang Hi??? :D )

I became self employed about eighteen months ago after being employed all my life (nearly twenty years...)

It's been a struggle but most enjoyable all the same. As you are currently employed and work shifts, does this give you a fair amount of free time?

It may be worth staying in employment and taking on small jobs, gradually building up clients and experience until you feel ready to 'go it alone'.

There's nothing more scarey than losing that fat paycheck and the end of the month, and starting up is gonna haemmorage money!

Speak to family, friends the bank and glean as much information as you can. Ask yourself lots of questions about your own character, for example: what would you do if you over-run on a project? Would you bite the bullet and work late to catch-up, knowing you're not being paid for it? Do you have debt which requires a guaranted income? How will your spouse cope with forgoing holiday for a couple of years??

Only you can answer these questions, but DON'T rush into anything (I sort of did - but was down to circumstances beyond my control).

Finally, this site has been a godsend for me, lot's of very nice and helpful people which I'm sure will be happy to offer any advice.

Regards MMJ

mmj said it all really,

You have already made up your mind, you are just asking us to give you that extra push. You are bound to be apprehensive, who wouldn't be?

For what it's worth I faced a similar dilemma over 20 years ago and have never looked back.

The bottom line is, we all need money, but we only have one life, "better to have loved and lost" springs to mind. You are not happy.

You don't say where you live but generally speaking there is a shortage of (good) tradesmen in most area's.

My advice would be not to undersell yourself, there will always be another job.

Unfortunately you are on your own with this one. (go for it you will never look back)

Good Luck Dave

:D

One of my best friends sayings are.

"Work to live - not live to work"

Which is very simple yet very profound.

Sponsored Links
Very simple, very profound and very true too.

Bet you wouldn't go back mmj would you?

You are very unlikely to go from nothing to a full book overnight, also 13 years is a long time to be away from something.

You are in a excellent position with your shiftwork to see whats what and get back into it.

I live in Essex and tried to get a p&d for what I reckoned was a weeks work, this was confirmed to me by the 3 who came to give me quotes.
They were all very busy and all doing very nicely.

It's got to be worth you having a go, just try and give yourself as few money worries as you can, at least you can control the situation for a while.

david and julie said:
Very simple, very profound and very true too.

Bet you wouldn't go back mmj would you?

No, but I do miss guaranteed income and... people! :cry:

I am actualy a bit of a loner, I like my own company, but working on my own, I do miss the banter of colleagues. Which is something I never expected!

No one warned me of that one!

I helped out a sparkie once (scratched his cornea :eek: ) so I did first fix for him on a big extension and would have held up the other 7 odd builders plasterers etc on site. Was really good to join in with a bit of mickey taking!

Thanks for tha advice guys. Although i have been doing shifts for 13 years i have always kept my hand in so it's not as though i just going back to it and thinking everything is going to be hunky dory. Recently i have become very busy working around my shift so maybe i will see how it will go and then make that push. Does anyone know if they are any Grants out their for tradesman or are you on your own from day one. The thing that gets me at the minute is if you are doing jobs and it's not your proper job (moonlighting) what do you charge

ie i have a job to price up an open plan front room and stair case just to emulsion and probably just gloss(solo) standard size house. do i start to charge as though it was my job or doing a job on the side. Prob 3 day job altogether but a few more with me working shifts.

i know some one who got a grant, great, untill the year later, his tax went up, so in effect it was a loan, he said "never do that" as they say there is no such thing as a free lunch

charges, put it this way.

you do a job for mrs x (moonlighting)

2 years later mrs x doesn't like colour (nothing wrong with what you did)

asks you to do it again (not moonlighting) your price is now double, guess who doesnt get the job

materials cost will be same, tools cost will be same, travel may be a bit more, only difference is your time, then it will be yours, now its your boss's.

you decide

You have to charge as if you are legit.

When/if you leave work you will suddenly be faced with greater overheads such as car/van, adverts, maybe more tools, you don't get paid for holidays or sickness(except a pittance) you pay for your pension,you may use an accountant(optional) you will need public liability insurance and costlier car/van insurance if used for business use, etc.

All tradesmen are faced with these costs which are forever increasing.

I not aware of any help being available unless you are on the dole. The euro-grant club/bandwagon is aimed at the big boys and consultants not the workers, we only pay for these!

I am not trying to put you off, but you have to have your eye on the ball and be aware what you are going into.

We used to allow 1/3 materials 1/3rd for us and 1/3rd for Tony and Gordon, that would vary between trades.

hangem said:
I have a decent Paid job at the moment but i'm sick of working shifts (13years),
I do shiftwork, have done for 21 years and I occasionally get fed up and even the dayworker get fed up too ! I'm like you get a reasonable guarantee wages every week and don't have to look for work or the hassles that come with it. I don't know what shift pattern you do but have you thought about changing the shift pattern with your working partner, the company couldn't care less as long the hours are covered. My shift pattern is the best in the country and do 37.5 hrs per week with 12 weeks holiday break & approx 150 days off between shifts ! ( nearly a total of 34 weeks off combined !)We do a 3 & 2 block of shifts. We put this to the company a few years ago and now everyone happy. Even if you altered the shift time, that can make a difference eg start at 7am instead of 6am and you don't feel tired in the afternoon. I don't like shiftwork but the time off I get, I'm prepare to suffer for it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back