1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Packing out an uneven wall....how do I raise the bed?

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by matt84, 27 Apr 2015.

1. matt84

matt84

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Where we've knocked two rooms into one we have a deviation along the wall of about 1cm.

I'm going to pack this out as it's too late for a plasterer and I've already SBR primed the wall.

I'll be using Keraflex but I'm wondering how to consistently pack the wall out. I've got a 10mm notched and 20mm round for a future floor job. Would I maybe use the trowel to back butter and apply to the wall or is it a case of laying a bed with a float then putting a back buttered tile on?

Thanks

2. AdamCH

AdamCH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think you'll find it quite tricky & with a very thick bed you might find the tiles sag while the adhesive's wet & that you end up with lips. It'll also cost you a small fortune in adhesive if the wall's any size.

Usually it's best to get the substrate as flat as you can before you start tiling - maybe "tile" the wall with a 6mm or thinner tile backer board to get it all level? Marmox go as thin as 4mm.

What ever you do don't resort to the "professional's" bodge of dotting and dabbing the tiles.

• Thanks Thanks x 1