Packing out new door frame...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just fit a new internal door frame into a brick wall. There is about a 6" gap between the header and the lintel and a varying sized gap down each side where it has been packed out.

What's the best material to pack it out with? Someone suggested expandable foam, but I'm concerned that that might buckle the frame as it cures.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I have done just that. And thrown in a bit of plasterboard for good measure.

Cheers Masona.

mrmark said:
Hi all,

What's the best material to pack it out with? Someone suggested expandable foam, but I'm concerned that that might buckle the frame as it cures.

Thanks...

expanding foam only causes problem if it is a large volume of foam and no largish outlet for the expansion

say you drilled a hole in a plasterboard cavity and squirted in a whole can nowt would happen :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

for a little while whilst the foam at the edges and gaps set then the preasure builds up :eek: :eek: :eek: :oops:

Sponsored Links
take the casing out measure the out side of the frame, dab plasterboard strips, one to the head and strips either side using solid dabs and use a level to plumb and level the opening. Do the opening slightly bigger than your measurements, when its set fix your casing and fill the gaps with bonding and skim.

Cheers guys.

It's all bonded and skimmed and looks the dogs...

Thanks again.

dangley bits and not dinner I assume, ;) nice one mate glad its all done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back