Pad stone loaded eccentrically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Got a quick question about padstones.

I am building a trapezoid extension, and have a couple of beams going across the garage to support the upstairs front wall.

The BCO wanted the rsj bolted to the pad stones (as there is no buttressing). So i measured and drilled the RSj and pad stones, and thought it was all going to be nice a square.

Got them mortared in the day before. however the one on the squnity wall, wasnt quite right.

So the front rsj is sitting near the edge of the stone.

the orignal stone was specified as 400 (l) x100 (w)x 75 (d).

The one i bought was bigger 440 (l) x100 (w)x 140 (d). so hopefully able to cope with the slight eccentric load.

Do you think the BCO is likely to have an issue?

Just bracing myself. (Building anything not square on purpose is a real pain in the arse)

Cheers
A

Sponsored Links
Time and again we hear this nonsense from building inspectors asking that steel beams be bolted down to padstones.
Regardless of the fact that there is no butresssing wall, it does nothing to enhance strength or lateral stability.
Can't quite envisage your situation regarding the eccentricity- some close-up pics would help.

I totally agree. I think 4 little m12 shield anchors will do bugger all if the wall starts to fail.

Will try and do a sketch and upload it.

Just think two beams on stone, but over to one edge.

Sponsored Links
We often fit the pads after the beam.

It is usually a case of acro propping the beam then slotting the pad under.

i'll remember that for next time... :oops:

So what do you think, likely to be a problem or not?

Assuming this the beams are just supporting one storey plus roof, and that
the wall below is aac block, I very much doubt that an eccentricity on the scale you have sketched would be detrimental. It helps that your pads are a little longer than specified. Also, remember that the two beams will not be carrying identical loads. If you can show that the right-hand beam is carrying a greater load than the left-hand one, then that will bring the resultant load a little nearer to the centre of the pad and will reduce the eccentricity.

The right hand beam is the internal wall, so will be carrying roof, so i guess this is preferential. This makes this steel load in the center of the stone.

Thanks

A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back