Padstone Q for engineers or anyone else really

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is a padstone required for steel beams, but if a lintel is used then no padstone is required?

Sponsored Links
They aren't if the brickwork is adequate to take the load. It's an urban myth; same as lintels having to have 150 bearing.

Yes that's what I thought. A BCO is querying use of brick (blues) citing the joints as a possible weakness and that the bearing should be one material.

Hes a bit new and keen, and will "check" and get back to us.

I asked what about the lintels, and he said those are different. Made me smile

Sponsored Links
It's preferable not to have a joint under the beam bearing (coming in at right angles to the wall), in which case I would say stick a eng brick padstone in (and then only to make sure that the bearing surface is constant and level across the width of the beam), but, other than that and calcs show that the wall is ok for direct bearing, there is no need.

As for using dissimilar materials...I sometimes wonder exactly what purpose BCOs serve (especially when you consider Murphy v Brentwood in issues of liability) and it grips me when they ask for things, purely because they don't know the answer. The comment about lintels says it all, really.

I have to admit to considering it ironic that I have to have a BCO come out and tell me if my footing excavations on the barn are ok!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back