Padstone

Yep all the foundations that are poured all are pure guesswork and will not hold a house up, .........I am sure that they are all precast in your world....that's all a padstone is, a foundation in the sky.

Making padstones is exactly like making a cake...what do you think they do at the that's special add fairy dust and dress as santa ???

Sponsored Links
Lol. I'm sure the builders of the Hoover dam will be grateful for your advice. Meanwhile back in domestic bliss, Fanny and me....
Guess what? I guess they are all dead now .. but the dam is still up!

Talking of guessing, ask Fanny to guess some lottery numbers for me that may or may not work.

Yep all the foundations that are poured all are pure guesswork and will not hold a house up, .........I am sure that they are all precast in your world....that's all a padstone is, a foundation in the sky.

Making padstones is exactly like making a cake...what do you think they do at the that's special add fairy dust and dress as santa ???
You don't seem to know the difference in how foundations and padstones perform. Here's a clue, one has a lot of weight spread over a large area, and the other ......

And I think that's the problem with the initial "Oh just make your own, it's just a bit of concrete, mix it together in a box" advice. It's bad advice.

"Oh just make your own, it's just a bit of concrete, mix it together in a box" advice. It's bad advice.
Or just do it how the manufacturers make them. Not rocket Woods. You do like to over egg the pudding (Fanny told me).

Sponsored Links
I see, the strength of concrete is based solely on how much sand gravel and cement is randomly mixed together. :cautious:

And the biggest failure of padstones is bearing shear, which is not really related to the strength of the concrete.

I just wonder how we have managed to pour any foundations directly into the ground that hold any building up...its just concrete nothing fancy.

@op Just get a length of 9" x 4" pre-cast concrete lintel and cut it to the required length.
Sometimes builder's merchants have cracked/damaged lintels which they will sell cheaper.
Lintels are particularly good for padstones because they are high-strength concrete and also have the reinforcing wires.

I see, the strength of concrete is based solely on how much sand gravel and cement is randomly mixed together. :cautious:

And the biggest failure of padstones is bearing shear, which is not really related to the strength of the concrete.
The sheds and builders merchants all in ballast tend to be of an adequate grading to give strength and a requisite 60 degree shear plane . Now a 1 to 6 mix based on volume or weight is a point worthy of further discussion:)

@op Just get a length of 9" x 4" pre-cast concrete lintel and cut it to the required length.
Sometimes builder's merchants have cracked/damaged lintels which they will sell cheaper.
Lintels are particularly good for padstones because they are high-strength concrete and also have the reinforcing wires.
Will BC/engineer accept a composite of x3 bedded 70mm fellas in view of a 3 course deep pad?

I just wonder how we have managed to pour any foundations directly into the ground that hold any building up...its just concrete nothing fancy.
I can't help you on your groundwork, but I can advise that foundations and padstones are a little bit different and not everything made of concrete is the same.

If some people are only experienced in tipping a barrow in a trench and are good at that, then they should stick to it. I know many such labourers who can't be trusted above ground.

upload_2022-5-4_12-33-7.png
upload_2022-5-4_12-34-32.png
upload_2022-5-4_12-37-40.png

The sheds and builders merchants all in ballast tend to be of an adequate grading to give strength and a requisite 60 degree shear plane . Now a 1 to 6 mix based on volume or weight is a point worthy of further discussion:)
Do they sell the water? :cautious:

Asking for a screeder friend

Do they sell the water? :cautious:

Asking for a screeder friend
Some of the traders will have one of those snack dispensing kiosks that might well sell water, I suppose its whether you are after still or the fizzy stuff, I should imagine the fizzy stuff will enable the concrete to flow/compact more easily but not sure how it would affect the frost resistance properties. Its nice that you have a friend.

Will BC/engineer accept a composite of x3 bedded 70mm fellas in view of a 3 course deep pad?
I don't know, but intuition says that one solid padstone would be better than 3 mortared one on top of the other, if only because the mortar beds would be of unknown strength?

Just spoken to my structural engineer and has told me just to lay three courses of class B engineering bricks. So that has saved me some money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back