Paint falling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently decorated our son's bedroom. please see attached photos. The paint is falling off the walls and there seems to be damp at the bottom of the window how do I rectify this to stop the paint from falling off. We live in a rented house and the landlord will not look at the outside windows.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20200310_154908.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20200310_154908.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Optimized-IMG_20200310_154913.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20200310_154913.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
Lijong, good evening.

Any chance of several images of the mastic seal between the window and the outside wall ?

Ken.

Sure, Ken, I will get them tomorrow. It seems to be both back windows in both bedrooms that are like this. Even one of the front ones is the same. I will take photos. Thanks, Ken

I don't understand why the white paint under the grey paint isn't coming off. It looks like the walls were white and then light grey and then dark grey.

I am not totally convinced it is damp given that I would expect to see evidence of it on the white paint.

What paint did you use? How long until it started to flake? Did the paint develop cracks first?

If I had to make a guess I would be looking at grease or silicone/polish etc on the walls but is it falling off all of the walls or just the areas near the windows?

Sponsored Links
Ahh, could be silicone. I remember when decorating having a terrible time trying to silicone and it could have been painted over. I will take photos of all the windows. There is evidence of damp on some and as you say, perhaps silicone on others. How do I get rid of the silicone? Really appreciate the help guys

Silicone is a mare to remove. It is also found in furniture polish.

I normally true to sand it away.

I will do that, then repaint it. Thanks for the help. When it is less windy NB I will try to get up the ladders to inspect the external window seal. Thanks again. It is greatly appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back