Paint for garden decking & pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built a pergola and decking area in my garden using timber. I am now wanting to paint everything grey, to match the fence panels and general style of everything else in my garden.

Whenever I go to look at what paint is available online and read reviews, they generally keep saying the same thing that after a short amount of time, the paint starts to crack and then looks awful. Meaning you have to sand things down and re-paint. I don't have a problem doing a new coat every year to keep on top of things, but it's the cracking that concerns me and looks like more maintenance than I was expecting. Is there any type of paint I could use, that is recommended for this? I know that stains will be better for this, but I do prefer to paint an actual solid colour. I assume getting anti-slip paint would be best too, based on the fact the decking will be painted too?

Any help of any brands that you recommend and would serve these needs would be hugely appreciated. Or just any general advice.

Sponsored Links
From experience the decking paint will wear off where footfall is heavy. Tried osmo oil and various others, osmo lasted longest before showing wear.

Depends on your colour choice but I quite like the cuprinol ducksback products for external wood. Colours are limited but it stands up to the weather pretty well of 2 initial coats are applied.

I should have specified in my first message - but I am wanting the decking and pergola to be a grey colour, to match with my fence panels - does that rule out using oils and would mean paint is needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back