Paint looking too dark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Iam currently choosing neutral paint to cover magnolia walls. My favourite currently is farrow ball on skimming stone as this looks really light whitish/greyish but the I have tested it on my walls and it’s looking sooo dark and nothing like the pictures online??
Do I need to prime the walls white or add white to the paint to tone it down???any advise please.

Sponsored Links
Did you stir the paint really well before you started applying it?

No you don’t need to add any paint to it and shouldn’t unless you have Farrow & Ball paint in white and it’s the same type as the skimming stone but if you are a painting novice I wouldn’t advise doing this.

You can’t tell anything about exact colours from looking at pictures on a screen. Do you have the Farrow & Ball swatch book? You need to check the paint swatch with the colour in your pot and on your wall.

Add extra light to room to brighten it up. If it's bright enough, the colour will become white.

Sponsored Links
I found that Farrow and Ball was the worse paint I’d ever used. Went on horrible, left marks when small scuffs were wiped off and was bloody expensive for what it was. I’d never use it again. FWIW, I’ve just painted over our F&B in our hall, stairs and landing. I used Valspar that was mixed at B&Q. It came out a lot darker than we imagined but Valspar have a guarantee - if you don’t like it, buy another Valspar colour (up to 10 litres) and you’ll get your money back. We did just that and it was a very straightforward process. I’d buy Valspar again.

Valspar 'Love your colour’ guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back