Paint on Brickwork - best product to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our soffits etc painted and there are a few light smears on the brickwork which I'd like to get off while the scaffold is still up

It's not caked on, more like where painted hands have leant or a brush has been brushed against it, so not sure that a typical paint remover would do the job, so wondering what people would advise I use

The brick is old victorian so don't want to rough it up with a wire brush or something, so thinking something I can use a standard scrubbing brush with...

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
paint remover and a small scrubbing brush? or paper towel?
I'd test the stripper on some out of sight brickwork first but to be honest, can you even see it from the ground?

Without going for the harsh chemical brick cleaners (hydrochloric acid), I have found turps does a decent job.
Mix in with a little washing up liquid, so it doesn't evaporate off immediately and leave to soak for a little while.
Then come back with a bit more turps and a scrubbing brush.
Then rinse off with a hose.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back