Painting brickwork at DPC level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my house rendered and tyroleaned and now need to paint the brickwork between the underneath of the bellcast (which is just above DPC level) and the outside ground level.

What is the correct paint to use for this particular area. I wasn't sure whether standard gloss or brick/masonry paint would bubble after a period of time due to the painted area being below DPC level and as such being constantly subjected to damp conditions. Bituminous paint perhaps?

Secondly, as careful as the renderer was, there are still sand and cement snots and splashes along with tyrolean splashes which I think will need to be wire brushed off before I start painting. Do I need to do any preparation between wire brushing and painting ie PVA mixed with water or some form of primer or undercoat.

Thanks in dvance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Personally Id go for bituminous but Weathersheild All Seasons would probably suffice ..
You wont need to worry about PVA/undercoat/primer with exterior grade paint

Thanks LJW61.

I rang round a couple of places today and can get Johnstones bituminous paint for either £8.23 for 2.5 litres or £14.82 for 5 litres.

I was quite pleased with that as I have to say, I was expecting to pay more :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back