Paint or replace doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s doors, the thin board on a frame type. Quite dark varnish. 11 doors.
One or two with small bashes/holes from hooks
Five are being rehung (change the way they open into a room)
Thinking of getting a decorator in (rather than do it myself - not finding time to do anything at moment and need to move in sometime!)
So are they worth repainting (assuming they will need a couple of coats to cover) or replace with new doors?

Sponsored Links
I'd want around £500-600 to paint them inclusive. Its a bit more than normal but you'll need a good gripping and obliterating primer so its minimum three coats.
Tosh job could be a lot cheaper if they're flat could just hit it with a nine inch roller

Thanks - when you can get ok-ish doors at less than £30 each....looks like replace might be best bet....
I have doors like this in current house (I painted for first time years ago -but pretty sure took a good few coats) and if children 'chip' them the dark brown shows through and they need touching up... but wasn't sure if that was just my bad painting in the first place... ;)

If its your own place then just replace them, would make it nicer to live in if anything, I have them where I live and they are horrible but reluctant to replace as its not my own home.

Sponsored Links
You might be able to get a door for £30 but sometimes cheap (read: crap) doors can be more expensive to hang and paint.

That kind of price range will get you a knotty pine door. To paint it to a decent finish will take more than 3 quick coats of paint. You may need 3 hinges to sort out any warping. Also factor in the cost of new door furniture (hinges, locks and handles) PLUS the cost of painting PLUS the need to remove the door stops and thus repaint the door frames .

Sorry, not trying to put you off but just want you to be aware that although you will end up with doors that will look better than your current ones, it wont be as cheap as you seem to think.

opps";p="2691703 said:
You might be able to get a door for £30 but sometimes cheap (read: crap) doors can be more expensive to hang and paint.

I agree, if you was to replace them you would want to spend a bit of money on them, it really depends on what your really wanting to have. Weigh up the pros and cons such as how long you are going to be living there and what difference it would make to the look of the place

I don't think I want to spend too much on new doors at the moment - have children heading close to teenage years ...expecting door slamming, kicking etc as hormones fly (have memories of one of my then teenage brothers breaking the original, pre-Victorian, non-standard size door at my parent's house!)
Whatever door I get I want them 'easy' and cheap to replace and/or fix if painted over...
If I got ones that were too distinct (and not painted) I think I would have to get a spare to keep in attic 'just in case' ... :rolleyes:

If you decide to go down the.. DOOR... avenue try Howden Joinery they sell doors pre-primed ready to go.
They also sell everything else to do with.. JOINERY.. :D

If you decide to go down the.. DOOR... avenue try Howden Joinery they sell doors pre-primed ready to go.
They also sell everything else to do with.. JOINERY.. :D

Only to trade though, they don't want DIY money

Have a joiner lined up to fit the kitchen and a few other jobs - so got a kitchen quote from Howdens on his account...so I probably could get doors from Howdens through him...
(I thought you were having a dig about why I posted on paint/decorate forum rather than windows and doors :oops: - reason was redecorating cost of the current doors by a professional is my main query...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back