Paint quality - Branded or ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to move into my new house and it needs a complete redecoration from top to bottom.

I have been looking at various paints in the local DIY stores and see the vast range of 'Own Brand' and named brands such as Dulux and Crown.

Whilst I have a good deal of work to do I want to do it so it lasts. Are there any brands which are recomended by the profesionals over others. When I did photography they used to say Kodac for color and Ilford for Black and White. Is their a rule that can be applied for home decorating?

Also, I am looking at papering then painting the walls but I would like a flat finish rather than the paterned paper you get. Can I just use heavy duty lining paper if the walls are in good shape?

Sponsored Links
Hi staylong.

Firstly - preparation. Get to enjoy this bit and you'll have it cracked. The more time you spend on getting this bit right - far more professional the result.

Invest in a couple of rolls glasspaper say 80 and 100 grit (coarseness), mutton cloth, sugar soap, decorators caulk (and applicator gun). And tools? Don't know what you have?

With woodwork, I always sand, sugar soap, undercoat, then gloss. I use Dulux professional as this is by far the nicest I've used, it has more 'body' than most paints which usualy means less coats required.

You will also find that this helps when 'cutting in' (painting up to the edge) as you don't have to keep passing over the same patch - you can make longer passes without reloading the brush.

With regards to walls, I am a firm believer in using a heavy weight lining paper then painting with emulsion. This gives a very attractive finish for imperfect walls and can be over painted as per the wifes instructions... Yes dear!

Hope this helps.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
With regards to walls, I am a firm believer in using a heavy weight lining paper then painting with emulsion. This gives a very attractive finish for imperfect walls and can be over painted as per the wifes instructions... Yes dear!
Three times in 10 months ("I don't like it now its on" :evil: ) is my record !!!

Sponsored Links
I wholeheartedly agree with others that the key to getting a good finish is preparation: The more meticulous the preparation, the better and more longer lasting will be the finish.

I have been decorating property for 20 years. In my opinion (with which others may disagree), is that, without doubt, Dulux and Crown offer the best coverage, opacity, ease pf application, and surface finish than any other cheapo paint I've tried.

Only exception is Dulux "Once" which tends to so thick, that application on any ultra-dry surface (such old vinyl backing paper) is very difficult because it dries out too quickly and you can't brush to a good finish.

Go for Dulux or Crown every time (as I said, in my opinion).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back