Paint 'sliding' off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a painter around to do the external walls, to paint the render a new colour. The old paint was pretty rough in places but the render itself was / is sound. The result was lovely. Until today.

The paint was bubbling up, blistering in places and so much so that some of the bubbles were beginning to slide off the wall.

I called the guy back to have a look but as we walked around it was difficult to see anything. The bubbles had appeared to have tightened up.

Just wondering what could be going on?
20220214_115446.jpg
20220214_115422.jpg
20220214_115415.jpg
20220214_115409.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might have been worth applying a coat of stabiliser first , but that would be down to cost of the job .

Might have been worth applying a coat of stabiliser first , but that would be down to cost of the job .
Hi,
Thank you for replying. He did say that he had applied stabiliser first. 2 coats in fact. I do wonder though now. I have met with the chap and he has said that he will do the same again,stabiliser and more top coats. Hopefully this will fix it.
I sincerely hope that it won't come down to having to scrape or grind the whole lot off :(
Shame really, cos it does look nice.

Sponsored Links
If you press the bubbles does it feel like water in there,
especially after rain?
Yes it does. Or at least it did whilst the bubbles were there. As I say, I tried them later when the painter visited, it had stopped raining and they all appear to have dried and tightened up.
He's going to put another coat of stabiliser and paint on and so finger's (and toes) crossed, it'll all work out ok.

Thats not good, it means rain is getting behind the paint higher up and pushing it off looking for a way out
I expect one of our decorating experts will be along soon to help?

Last edited:
I would agree it looks like rain is finding it's way in, perhaps behind the render.

In which case, it may not be the fault of the decorator.

The fact he used stabiliser possibly suggests there has always been a problem, but the decorator can only do so much.

Not the time of year to be painting outside unless it's with masonry paint that can cope with the low temperatures.

Also walls need to be dry, so again not the right weather.
Trapped moisture maybe?

Not the time of year to be painting outside unless it's with masonry paint that can cope with the low temperatures.

Also walls need to be dry, so again not the right weather.
Trapped moisture maybe?
I was thinking this. So coating and painting again is only going to make things worse, by locking it in? But then, that's why we ask a professional? Surely it's up to him to say "wrong time year, I'll wait for a few sunny days"?

No idea on the stabiliser but the paint was a Santex smooth mix from Bence

I was thinking this. So coating and painting again is only going to make things worse, by locking it in? But then, that's why we ask a professional? Surely it's up to him to say "wrong time year, I'll wait for a few sunny days"?

No idea on the stabiliser but the paint was a Santex smooth mix from Bence

You shouldn't really paint outside at this time of year, but the problem you have is unlikely to have been caused by painting on a damp surface, and more likely to be caused by rain finding it's way in from somewhere.

You need to find out if the rain can trickle in somewhere and get behind the layer of paint or the render.

Even if he re-paints this wall in the summer when it's had weeks to dry out, it seems to me when it does rain you will have the same problem.

Send photos of the building above this damage.

More blisters again last night and this morning. I pressed the one and water poured out.
You shouldn't really paint outside at this time of year, but the problem you have is unlikely to have been caused by painting on a damp surface, and more likely to be caused by rain finding it's way in from somewhere.

You need to find out if the rain can trickle in somewhere and get behind the layer of paint or the render.

Even if he re-paints this wall in the summer when it's had weeks to dry out, it seems to me when it does rain you will have the same problem.

Send photos of the building above this damage.
This is the overall front aspect. Hopefully with a zoom-in you may be able to see something, perhaps. I'm not aware of there being any problems.
20220208_121758.jpg

Look for poor sealing around windows and sills.There looks to be a crack from the corner of next doors window and another on the vertical joint between you.
Whats the height of the highest blister?
Ive posted this before, I contacted Sandtex tech support on painting on Sunny warmer days Autumn and this time of year and they said high humidity was the biggest enemy as it doesn't allow moisture to escape enough for the paint to dry right through.

Last edited:
Look for poor sealing around windows and sills.There looks to be a crack from the corner of next doors window and another on the vertical joint between you.
Whats the height of the highest blister?
Ive posted this before, I contacted Sandtex tech support on painting on Sunny warmer days Autumn and this time of year and they said high humidity was the biggest enemy as it doesn't allow moisture to escape enough for the paint to dry right through.
So in theory, it should be a temporary issue? Once the paint has dried off fully, assuming it hasn't all fallen off the wall by then, then it should be all ok?
Here's certainly hoping!

Where the bubbles are there wont be any adhesion to the render or old paint so could be an issue till you stop the water getting in. When I moved in to where I am now it had those bubble appearing every time it rained and paint had been on the wall for at least 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back