paint started flaking,but only where i painted over original

bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need your help guys,some of my walls, the paint is flaking away,it only seems to have done it where i have painted over the orignal paint in the house,still not finished painting the whole house as yet,any orignal paint in the house is fine

so far its done it in the kitchen,hall way, and one little bit in a bedroom, so its not down to steam etc as you may expect in kitchen/bathroom

im plastering the walls now as i dont want the hassle of it happening to other walls once i get round to finishing the house

any ideas to as why paint does this, its as if any new paint i apply is making the orignal paint flake up for some reason

cheers

IMG_2054.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd say that the original paint hasn't had a 'mist coat'.

Plastering over it isn't a very good idea as the only thing holding the skim on - is the flaking paint. As soon as you begin to roller the fresh plaster it's likely to peel off with he paint.

Did you use PVA on the walls before painting? This is a big No, No. As Joe says. it looks like there was no mist coat in that area. Has it all been mist coated prior to putting the final coats on ?

before i plaster it,the flaking paint will be taken of,the whole wall is not to bad,just the odd patch,

only reason i want to skim it,is i dont want it to start flaking once i decorate the walls, like i said,it as only happened where i have painted over the orignal paint,

so for some bizarre reason,new paint seems to be making it flake,this does not happen stright away,its over a period of time.

robbie i dont know if it as all been mist coated prior to putting the final coats on,i did not paint the walls when it was first plastered,all i did was put matt paint on orignal paint that is in house,and i did not use pva on walls prior to painting,

no other paint in the house is flaking only where i have painted new paint on top,

the whole house had wallpaper on walls for god knows how many years by previous person in house,and underneath paper the whole house is done in same orignal paint ,from when decorators maybe painted house when it was built.

the answer im looking for,is, why would new paint make original paint flake?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I had same problem. Painted matt over original and got flaking, neighbour is painter and noticed original is vinyl. Brushed down and repainted with vinyl and no more flaking.

Painting over wallpaper paste will cause bad flaking. Painting over the paint will allow moisture to reactivate the paste and cause it to lose grip and hence the flaking. A plaster skim will cause even worse problems.

Fraid I have to agree, looks to me like a neat coat of vinyl emulsion was used. Another No no for newly plastered walls. must be mist coated or contract (non vinyl) emulsion used.

cheers guys,yea does seem to be no mist coat where it as flaked,as its showing bare plaster underneath,whatever it is,i would of thought it would happen pretty quick,but is taken months before it flakes,

im guessing the whole house is painted the same way,ive plastered alot of walls downstairs,2 years later and no problems with new plaster,so that will do me :D

cheers

this can occure if the plaster wasnt sealed before the very first coat of paint after skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back