Paint tray liners and bags - any recommendations please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got some painting to do, and if there's one thing that does my head in it is cleaning the roller paint tray afterwards...!

So I've been having a look and I came across these:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...pack-of-3/1694057_BQ.prd?rrec=true#icamp=recs

Has anyone used this sort of thing and if so what are they like? Any recommendations?

Or can you buy bags instead that you slip the paint tray into, and again any recommendation on bags please - even if they're bags which weren't originally meant for that purpose?

Big thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Just use tinfoil to line the tray and clingfilm to keep it moist.
Don't leave a tray with so little paint in it that it dries out, even if you have to add a dash more.

I also have used paint bags from Toolstation, for satin woodwork paint. They fit in paint kettles, and have a draw string.
Clean up is easy but it is ok overnight

You're not wrong geraldthehamster. We try to be as plastic free as possible. We don't use bin bags, we re-use any bags that food comes in; although we try not to buy stuff that comes in plastic if we can help it.

The trouble is we are on a septic tank and I don't like the idea of all that paint going into it when it comes to clean up. Perhaps the best thing would be to scrap the roller all together and use a brush...

Thanks for the reminder.

@Tigercubrider - thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Could maybe clean the tray as much as possible with kitchen roll, and put that in the bin? Then rinse off what's left into a bucket, and dispose. A bit of a faff, but would keep the paint out of the septic tank.

Much as one would wipe the oil out of a frying pan before washing it, for the avoidance of fatbergs.

Just use tinfoil to line the tray and clingfilm to keep it moist.
Don't leave a tray with so little paint in it that it dries out, even if you have to add a dash more.

I also have used paint bags from Toolstation, for satin woodwork paint. They fit in paint kettles, and have a draw string.
Clean up is easy but it is ok overnight

Surely the tinfoil lifts each time the roller runs over it?

Why not just pay £1.05 for a 9" tray and store the tray and roller in a bin bag?

Nope
The tinfoil shapes around the tray and stays put.
I use everything from bin bags to supermarket carriers ( not so much now) and cling film

Nope
The tinfoil shapes around the tray and stays put.
I use everything from bin bags to supermarket carriers ( not so much now) and cling film

Fair enough.

I did buy the bag liners for paint scuttles. They were a waste of money. Run the roller down the side and it would stick to the bag/liner.

When possible, I try to make sure that the first time I use a tray I use oil based paint. I am then happy to use water based paints after. Once you pour hot water into the tray the oil based paint starts to delaminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back