Paint / waterproofer for wood in a shower - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a search but haven't come up with much.

The shower end of my bath has an awkward angle in the wall, so to fit a shower screen I've had to make up a baton that fitted flat to the wall (much planing and getting the angle right, and realising how wonky the tiles were!) and gave a nice flat 90 degree angle (where a "normal" wall at the end of a bath would be) to mount the glass screen support to.

The baton's 2x1" pine - a fairly hard pine, but pine nonetheless. Having planed, sawed and sanded away making it just the right shape to fit, I now need to treat it and paint it to make it waterproof, as it's going to be splashed more or less every day. What do I need to do?

I want to paint it white if possible, lots of the rest of the bathroom is white. I'm assuming I should buy some sort of primer and a waterproof top coat, but I'd certainly appreciate any advice you guys could give!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if your talking around say 16mm between screen frame and wall could you cover it with an "L"shaped plastic profile and silicon to seal or any profile to cover and hide!!

Pine will wrot away quickly, even painted and sealed, hardwood is a better choice, you could plane down a runner from any old pallet they are made from a hardwood.

Sponsored Links
option 1:
you can get outdoor fence paint in many styles these days they are designed to get wet on a regular basis, you can even get gloss finishes in all kinds of colours.

use hardwood as suggested above but if you cant be bothered using hardwood because you cant be bothered redoing the work you have already done

option2:
treat it with outdoor varnish/sealer i would go this route if you are planning to hide it behind plastic/silicon as mentioned above, because you can never be too careful you dont want to have to rip it out and replace it if it rots.

if i was you i would replace the pine with hardwood then do option 1 or 2 above

option 1:
you can get outdoor fence paint in many styles these days they are designed to get wet on a regular basis, you can even get gloss finishes in all kinds of colours.

use hardwood as suggested above but if you cant be bothered using hardwood because you cant be bothered redoing the work you have already done

option2:
treat it with outdoor varnish/sealer i would go this route if you are planning to hide it behind plastic/silicon as mentioned above, because you can never be too careful you dont want to have to rip it out and replace it if it rots.

if i was you i would replace the pine with hardwood then do option 1 or 2 above
4 year old post :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back