Paint will not dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had a problem overpainting Puraflex 40.
It was recommended to me that Puraflex 40 was a good material to sort out a crack that follows where the stringer of the staircase meets the wall. The Puraflex applied fine but the oil based paint which I painted over with will not dry. I painted about 4 days ago but still not dry. My question is will this paint dry eventually or is there some other problem??

Many thanks in advance for any help...

Sponsored Links
Just have to wait for it to dry. Oil gloss I guess? That takes and age anyway and can stay sticky for over a week anyway.

You should have used waterbased primer first. Oil based paints over MS polymers can stay tacky for months (seriously months...). All is not lost, just touch in with waterbased primer (over the tacky OB) and then apply the OB paint the next day.

I have painted over 24 month old MS polymers with OB, not realising that they were MS polymers and the OB paint still stayed tacky until I hit them with WB primer/undercoat.

Sponsored Links
Who recommended that?

You need a low modulus sealant for cracks not high modulus

There are very few low modulus MS Polymers (although Puraflex 25 is one, but AFAIK it is not as readily available). Most low modulus products are silicone based and therefore not suitable for painting. IMO, a low modulus MS polymers is more elastic than any regular caulk that I have previously used and they have the added advantage of not shrinking back (like caulk).

If you are able to recommend a low modulus paintable sealant I would be happy to try it out. Many thanks. Opps

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately most of those sealants are not MS polymers and not very flexible.

The following link from the same site lists low modulus sealants. Although most of them are silicone, and therefore not suitable for the task in hand, three quarters of the way down however there are some low modulus MS polymers which I might try out (and which are relatively cheap).

Have you got that link ? (I'm being lazy)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back